The Marlins have been discussing a long-term contract for Mike Stanton, the prodigious power-hitter who has cranked 47 home runs just 205 games into his career as a 21-year-old.
The report from the Palm Beach Post says that nothing specific in money or years has come up in a discussion, and that an offer would not be made "until next year." Whether that means after the season or during the 2012 season is unclear.
Stanton, under baseball's rules, will make the league minimum or near it for his first three years in the majors unless a contract supersedes it. Since the outfielder will only be at 1.118 years of service time after the season, he has two more years at the league minimum to look forward to.
Thus, any long-term deal is going to have that in mind with a very low base salary for years one and two. If the salary jumps up into the million(s) in the first couple of years, it will be to mitigate the risk of years 3-6 at a lower value. Stanton's three arbitration years will also come at a reduced cost. The general rule of thumb is that players operate on a 40-60-80 salary scale in their arbitration years.
That is, a player can be expected to make 40 percent of what he could earn on the free-agent market in his first year of arbitration. His second year of arbitration gives him 60 percent value, and so on.
So right off the bat, a five-year deal signed for Stanton after the season will buy out his remaining years of team control at a price you would not even come close to seeing on the free-agent market. Full Story
NEW YORK -- A week ago, Johan Santana was pitching in a minor-league game. This week, he's not throwing at all.
And the Mets still say they felt good about the results of the latest exam on Santana's left shoulder.
You want to know how hard it is to come back from anterior capsule surgery? That's how hard it is.
A setback like this, even if it means that Santana won't return to the big leagues this year, can't be seen as a big problem. "If I pitch this season, that'll be great," Santana said Friday. "If I don't, as long as I feel healthy, that's what I'm looking for."
Brad Hawpe's season is over after undergoing Tommy John surgery, MLB.com reports.
Hawpe has been out since June 18 and hit just .231/.301/.344 in 195 at-bats. Hawpe was supposed to replace part of Adrian Gonzalez's production and keep the seat warm for prospect Anthony Rizzo, but he couldn't get going and became irrelevant once San Diego collapsed and began looking toward next season.
As a result, the Padres won't skip a beat without Hawpe.
The first baseman, who played right field for years in Colorado and returned to that spot once Rizzo reached the majors, may be nearing the end of the line. There is a mutual option for 2012 for $6 million, but San Diego will certainly exercise the buyout, pay Hawpe $1 million and move on.
The Mets first baseman hasn't played since May 10, because of a bone bruise in his left ankle. Now the Mets say Davis is going to be held out of baseball activities for at least another four weeks, which they admit will basically end his season.
But he's not having surgery. Not yet.
It was thought at one point that there would be a decision on surgery this week, but that's not happening.
"The surgery is not necessarily the best solution," Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said. "Surgery can be problematic."
Braves OF McLouth has surgery for sports hernia
NEW YORK -- Braves center fielder Nate McLouth has undergone surgery for a sports hernia, the team said Friday.
McLouth hasn't played since last week, and he went on the disabled list on July 29.
The Braves traded for Michael Bourn two days later, and Bourn is now the regular center fielder.
The Braves said McLouth will be out about six weeks, which means he could miss the rest of the season.
MIAMI -- Joe Thurston waited nearly two years for another call to the major leagues. A little bit of sleep deprivation was a small price to pay.
He completed a cross-country journey and arrived in Miami in plenty of time to make his debut with the Florida Marlins.
Thurston took over at second base when Omar Infante was placed on the 15-day disabled list earlier in the day with a broken right middle finger. He was in the lineup against the Cardinals, batting seventh.
"It was a shock," said Thurston, who has been with the Marlins' Triple-A affiliate from New Orleans and had to get up about 3 a.m. to catch flights to Miami from Tucson, Ariz. in time for the game. "But I'm excited to come here and help out any way I can and help the team out."
A's shortstop Pennington returns to lineup
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Oakland Athletics shortstop Cliff Pennington is back in the starting lineup after missing two games because of Bell's Palsy.
Pennington left Monday's game against Seattle because of the condition that can cause partial facial paralysis.
He was the seventh-place hitter the game against Tampa Bay.
Also, right fielder David DeJesus, slowed by right thumb soreness, returned to Tampa Bay's lineup. He missed the previous three games.
Padres activate left-hander Thatcher from DL
PITTSBURGH -- The San Diego Padres activated Joe Thatcher from the 60-day disabled, giving the team two left-handers in the bullpen after going most of the season without such a luxury.
Thatcher has not played this season due to a shoulder injury, for which he had surgery in early May. He had 45 strikeouts and seven walks in 35 innings over 65 appearances last season, working primarily as a specialist against left-handed hitters.
Thatcher joins Josh Spence as lefties in the San Diego bullpen.
The Padres also optioned outfielder Blake Tekotte to Double-A San Antonio to create roster space. Tekotte went 6 for 24 with four walks and two stolen bases in 12 games in the majors this season.
Indians' Hannahan on paternity leave, Duncan recalled
ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Cleveland Indians placed infielder Jack Hannahan on the paternity list and recalled outfielder Shelley Duncan from Triple-A Columbus before the game against the Texas Rangers.
Hannahan, batting .213 in 84 games with the Indians, returned to Cleveland to be with his wife after Thursday night's 7-3 win at Boston.
Duncan has split the season between Columbus and Cleveland, playing 29 games for Columbus and 36 for Cleveland.
BALTIMORE -- The Toronto Blue Jays have never had a Canadian star. They're hoping Brett Lawrie is their first.
The 21-year-old Lawrie, who was recalled from Triple-A Las Vegas on Thursday, was set to make his major league debut against the Orioles. Lawrie is batting ninth and playing third base.
Lawrie was obtained from Milwaukee last winter for right-hander Shaun Marcum. He batted .353 with 18 home runs and 61 RBI for Las Vegas.
A native of Langley, B.C., Lawrie is the brother of Danielle Lawrie, a softball pitcher who was the two-time national player of the year for the University of Washington in 2009 and '10. Lawrie played for the Canadian Olympic team in the 2008 Games.
Rangers OF Gentry begins rehab stint
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Texas Rangers outfielder Craig Gentry, currently on the 7-day concussion disabled list, was assigned to Triple-A Round Rock for an injury rehabilitation assignment.
Gentry went on the short-term DL on July 28 and is currently eligible to be reinstated.
He was injured in a game against Toronto on July 24 when his neck struck the hip of Blue Jays second baseman Aaron Hill on a slide into second base.
Royals demote infielder Navarro to minors
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Royals have optioned Yamaico Navarro to Triple-A Omaha.
Navarro, drove in three runs in the Kansas City Royals victory Thursday night over Baltimore, was acquired in a trade Saturday from the Boston Red Sox for Mike Aviles.
Navarro started the previous two games at third base, going 4 for 7, although shortstop is considered his best position. He can also play second base and left field. Manager Ned Yost said he wants the 23-year-old Navarro playing everyday instead of sitting on the Kansas City bench.
The day before sending down Navarro, the Royals purchased the contract of second baseman Johnny Giavotella. He was in the starting lineup Friday, batting sixth against Detroit.
Florida's Morrison rewards his Twitter followers
MIAMI -- Florida outfielder Logan Morrison rewarded hundreds of his Twitter followers with something better than a retweet: He left them free tickets.
The Marlins made hundreds of tickets available for Morrison on Thursday, so he posted an invite to his Twitter account -- "Who wants 2 come 2 a Marlins game tonight?!? Ive got a BUNCH of tix for u guys. 1st come, 1st serve" -- and those who responded with their full names got the freebies. Some fans asked for as many as 10.
Morrison says he gave away about 500 tickets. It may be a one-time deal: Morrison says if he does it again, the team will charge him.
So will there be a next time? "Probably not. Not 500 of them, that's for sure," Morrison says.