The new marketing scheme for Kevin Durant bills him as "Not Nice." It's getting to "Not Smart" territory. Durant picked up his 11th technical of the season vs. Miami, tying him with... wait for it... DeMarcus Cousins on the season.
Kevin Durant has the same number of techs as DMC. What is happening?
Here's what KD did to garner the tech:
From the NBA rulebook:
d. A technical foul shall be assessed for unsportsmanlike tactics such as:
(1) Disrespectfully addressing an official
(2) Physically contacting an official
(3) Overt actions indicating resentment to a call
(4) Use of profanity
(5) A coach entering onto the court without permission of an official
(6) A deliberately-thrown elbow or any attempted physical act with no contact
So No. 3 is clearly in play here. The new rules implemented last season were designed to punish players for any sort of physical reaction to a call, and slapping the floor definitely counts. He doesn't have to make it towards the official, any air punch or slap qualifies, and Durant did it here. He's admitted publicly he has to control himself. He apparently hasn't gotten a hold of it yet.
If Durant hits five more in the next three months, he will be suspended a game. Crazy to think that of the normally mild-mannered Durant.