Despite being dominated in the NBA Finals by the San Antonio Spurs, and despite all of their roster outside of Norris Cole, including LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh being up for free agency, the Miami Heat remain the favorites to win the 2015 title according to the early odds from online sportsbooks.
Here are the early odds from three such books.
|2015 NBA Title odds|
|San Antonio Spurs||15-to-2||6-to-1||6-to-1|
|Oklahoma City Thunder||8-to-1||6-to-1||8-to-1|
|Los Angeles Clippers||10-to-1||9-to-1||10-to-1|
|Golden State Warriors||30-to-1||25-to-1||20-to-1|
|Portand Trail Blazers||32-to-1||25-to-1||20-to-1|
|New York Knicks||50-to-1||40-to-1||65-to-1|
|New Orleans Pelicans||50-to-1||50-to-1||50-to-1|
|Los Angeles Lakers||50-to-1||25-to-1||50-to-1|
1. The Lakers, who have no one of value under contract except for a 35-year-old future-Hall-of-Famer coming off two major leg injuries, have the same odds as the Mavericks and Grizzlies, according to one book, and a better chance than the Raptors or Suns. That's the power of being LA.
2. Boston doesn't come out as well, except for at Bovada.
3. If you believe in this draft, now's a great time to get in on the ground floor of the Bucks and Sixers!
4. The Cavaliers are way too high on this list for all three sites, which you have to ascribe to either the LeBron possibility, the No. 1 pick factor, or, you know, Cleveland's long-standing luck when it comes to sports.
5. The linesmakers do not believe in the Suns. Not at all.
6. Look at Denver hanging around up there.
7. The books continue to be strong for the Thunder and Bulls. Chicago, despite everything, still comes in with better odds than Indiana at two places, while OKC is solidly the third best team when it comes to what the odds say.
8. Miami remains No. 1 and that has to tell you about the betting sentiment when it comes to LeBron James and where he'll be next season. And the Spurs continue to lurk there, never blinking, never wavering. Could this year be the year they finally repeat as champions?