Report: Donald Sterling still wants ban lifted, fine rescinded

Donald Sterling is banned for life from the NBA.
Donald Sterling is banned for life from the NBA. (USATSI)

More: Sterling banned for life | Latest updates | NBA news

Donald Sterling still wants the NBA to lift his lifetime ban and rescind his $2.5 million fine, so he still hasn't officially signed off on the sale of the Los Angeles Clippers to Steve Ballmer, according to the Los Angeles Times

Sterling recently saw a draft of a statement from the league which he thought absolved him of the penalties, but a person familiar with the NBA's position said the statement, which was not released to the public, offered no such relief.

Sterling appeared to approve of last week's sale in a statement released Wednesday by his lawyer, Bobby Samini, that said in part, "All disputes and outstanding issues have been resolved."

But the longtime owner's change of heart late in the week left those involved in the deal wondering when it will be resolved.

It looked like the Sterling saga was completely over as of Wednesday, and it is still unclear how he intends to proceed. It would make things easier on everybody involved if he just put his signature on the sale, but Shelly Sterling has claimed it does not require his approval, as she became the sole trustee of the Sterling Family Trust when he was declared "mentally incompetent." She hopes to avoid going to court, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The NBA has not indicated that it intends to even consider dropping the ban or cancelling the fine. Such a move would run contrary to the position that commissioner Adam Silver has taken on the matter. 

CBS Sports Writer

James Herbert is somewhat fond of basketball, feature writing and understatements. A former season-ticket holder for the expansion Toronto Raptors, Herbert does not think the NBA was better back in the... Full Bio

Show Comments Hide Comments
Our Latest Stories