|The Chiefs' top priority in 2013 will be to find a better option than Matt Cassel at quarterback.. (US Presswire)|
Fourteen years ago, Andy Reid took over in Philadelphia, drafted Donovan McNabb and in their second season together they began a string of five straight playoff appearances. Reid is expected to be hired in Kansas City along with a new general manager now that Scott Pioli is out. At the top of Reid's offseason to-do list will be to find his next McNabb. The Chiefs have many issues -- you don't go 2-14 without a handful of problems -- but any which way you look at their struggles, you end up back at the lack of a passing game.
|The home of the Super Bowl|
Free agents who must be signed:
- WR Dwayne Bowe -- The Chiefs' offense was bad, but it reached another level of stink once Bowe went down in Week 14 with a pair of broken ribs. Bowe played with the franchise tag this past year, and if the Chiefs have to, it might make sense to place the tag on him again because they cannot afford to let him walk.
- LT Branden Albert -- Albert is the only player the Chiefs should consider for their franchise tag, considering the importance of protecting a franchise QB once you get one.
- DE Tyson Jackson -- Jackson was drafted third overall in 2009 and some might call him a bust; however, he played better as the season progressed this past year and the Chiefs don't have a lot of depth up front.
Positions needing improvement:
- Quarterback -- The Chiefs ranked last in the NFL in passing yards (170 pg), passing touchdowns (eight) and 31st in passer rating (63.8). They cannot start another season with Matt Cassel or Brady Quinn as the starter.
- Wide receiver -- Quinn and Cassel are not good, but they didn't have much of a chance to succeed with the receivers they were given, especially once Bowe was injured. Former first-round pick Jonathan Baldwin has been a bust and Kansas City needs to find a legitimate No. 2 receiver.
- Cornerback -- The Chiefs decided to go with free-agent Stanford Routt instead of re-signing Brandon Carr last season. That was a colossal fail, as Routt was so bad Romeo Crennel cut him after eight games. That leaves them searching again for a starting cornerback this offseason.