Mock draft No. 10: Mock all you like, but this is a tough one to call
As draft day arrives, the Chiefs could still throw a curveball into the deal right off the bat. Pete Prisco dutifully plays along with his 10th and final mock draft.
Mock Draft No. 10.
We've gone months trying to figure out who will land in what spot, and on the eve of the 2013 NFL Draft, I still have no real idea.
|More 2013 NFL Draft coverage|
This was as tough a mock draft this late that I've ever had to do.
There is still some league chatter that Kansas City could even opt to pass on offensive tackle, the choice by most for their pick, and go defense.
I say they stay with a tackle, which means there will be a run on them.
I had one trade in this mock with Buffalo trading back in the first round to take Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib after passing on him with the eighth pick.
Anybody ready for a 2014 mock? Don't you dare say that.
1. Kansas City Chiefs -- Eric Fisher , T, Central Michigan: With the uncertainty about Brandon Albert, they have to land a left tackle. This kid is the better player of the two at the top.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Luke Joeckel , T, Texas A&M: They pass on taking an edge rusher and land a solid bookend tackle to go with Eugene Monroe.
3. Oakland Raiders -- Ezekiel Ansah , DE, BYU: This is a team in desperate need of an edge rusher. They opt to take him here, rather than a defensive tackle.
4. Philadelphia Eagles -- Dion Jordan , OLB, Oregon: Speed is badly needed in their new hybrid defense, which is why Jordan would be a great fit. He would r-unite with former college coach Chip Kelly.
5. Detroit Lions -- Lane Johnson , T, Oklahoma: They get a player who can step in and start on the left side, giving Matthew Stafford a blind-side protector.
6. Cleveland Browns -- Dee Milliner , CB, Alabama: They need help opposite Joe Haden , and Milliner, despite some injury concerns, makes sense.
7. Arizona Cardinals -- D.J. Fluker , T, Alabama: They would love to trade down if the top three tackles are gone, but we put Fluker here since they are stuck.
8. Buffalo Bills -- Jonathan Cooper , G, North Carolina: They pass on the quarterback here and go for a guard that will make the left side of their line tough to handle.
9. N.Y. New York Jets -- Barkevious Mingo , DE, LSU: The pass rush is really a problem. So they opt to take Mingo to liven it up.
10. Tennessee Titans -- D.J. Hayden , CB, Houston: Playing against Andrew Luck the next decade, you'd better be able to cover.
11. San Diego Chargers -- Star Lotulelei , DT, Utah: Yes, they have other needs. But this is a player that would be tough to pass up in this spot.
12. Miami Dolphins -- Xavier Rhodes , CB, Florida State: They have to get better on the outside in coverage, and this kid can do that.
13. N.Y. Jets (From Tampa Bay) -- Tavon Austin , WR, West Virginia: He would add some explosive speed to a team that needs it.
14. Carolina Panthers -- Sharrif Floyd , DT, Florida: They are thrilled he fell this far. They should be.
15. New Orleans Saints -- Kenny Vaccaro , S, Texas: The range on the back end of their defense is terrible. Vacarro can fix that.
16. St. Louis Rams -- Chance Warmack , G, Alabama: He is a road grader, and we know how Jeff Fisher loves road graders.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Jarvis Jones , OLB, Georgia: They are in need of a pass rusher and Jones made a ton of plays in a big-time conference.
18. Dallas Cowboys -- Sheldon Richardson , DT, Missouri: If he is there when they pick, they will be thrilled. He will be an explosive player.
19. N.Y. New York Giants -- Cornellius (Tank) Carradine , DE, Florida State: You can never have enough edge rushers. The Giants live by that creed.
20. Chicago Bears -- Arthur Brown , LB, Kansas State: I just think this makes way too much sense. So I keep him here.
21. Cincinnati Bengals -- Johnathan Cyprien , S, FIU: The back end is a problem at times for a good defense. This kid has range and he can tackle.
22. St. Louis Rams -- Eric Reid , S, LSU: Take a look at their starters on the back end. They have problems.
23. Buffalo Bills (from Minnesota) -- Ryan Nassib , QB, Syracuse: I think the Bills will trade back into the first round to take Ryan Nassib. They do it with the Vikings, who have an additional first-round pick.
24. Indianapolis Colts -- Travis Frederick , C-G, Wisconsin: He has played guard and center, and they need help at both spots.
25. Minnesota Vikings -- Desmond Trufant , CB, Washington: They play in a division with explosive passing games, so they need to get another cover corner.
26. Green Bay Packers -- Tyler Eifert , TE, Notre Dame: They aren't happy with Jermichael Finley , so they take the best player on the board.
27. Houston Texans -- Justin Hunter , WR, Tennessee: They pass on Cordarrelle Patterson and his off-field issues and take the other Tennessee receiver.
28. Denver Broncos -- Bjoern Werner , DE, Florida State: They need help getting to the quarterback, so he is worth it in this spot
29. New England Patriots -- Jamie Collins , OLB, Southern Mississippi: I like the idea of the Patriots taking this athletic pass rusher and adding him to Chandler Jones .
30. Atlanta Falcons -- Jamar Taylor , CB, Boise State: They have a huge hole in the secondary, and this would help close it. He is a feisty cover corner.
31. San Francisco 49ers -- Jesse Williams , DT, Alabama: They need a young power player inside in their defense. Williams can step in and provide that.
32. Baltimore Ravens -- Menelik Watson , T, Florida State: They might move up to get a tackle, but if they stay here they take a wonderfully gifted athlete.
Our Latest Stories
Michigan, California and BYU held pro days on Friday, with Davis Webb fighting a 'torrential...
Plus, prospects at Utah, Missouri and San Diego State look to make their mark on a busy Th...
Plus, two USC prospects tackle agility drills and two small-schoolers look to make their m...
In a class loaded with defensive studs, no position group is better than the corners and s...
Mitchell Trubisky is 'solid,' Takk McKinley sits and Marlon Mack 'sizzles' during Tuesday pro...
John Lynch is among the 75 NFL scouts at UNC's pro day, while the Browns are noticeably ab...