Attack at Boston Marathon prompts longshot to re-enlist with Marines

By Evan Hilbert | CBSSports.com

Brandon O'Brien was a longshot to catch on with any NFL team this year, let alone get drafted. Still, the 30-year-old ex-Marine had been training for his shot in the league. That is, up until Tuesday.

According to his agent, O'Brien has decided to re-enlist with the Marines in light of Monday's tragic events at the Boston Marathon.

"He said watching what happened yesterday left him with a big hole in his heart and told me he wants to ensure that this never happens again to anybody, anywhere," O'Brien's agent, Brad Berkowitz, told NFL.com. "The kid is a real hero."

O'Brien had been training with Athletes Performance Institute in hopes that he could get a tryout in front of some NFL teams.

CBSSports Facebook Google Plus
COMMENTS
Conversation powered by Livefyre
NEVER MISS A MOCK DRAFT
Sign up to our newsletter and find out who your team could be picking
 

nfl Video

July 27, 2015
David Baker talks Junior Seau (6:04)
July 27, 2015
Will Ray Rice return to the NFL?
(1:35)
July 27, 2015
NFL implements new procedures for measuring game balls
(2:07)
July 27, 2015
Brady wants a settlement for the Deflategate case
(2:20)

Latest

Most Popular

2016 Super Bowl
Super Bowl