We grossly underestimated the awfulness of the 2013 Jacksonville Jaguars. We were distracted by the Raiders and Chargers, two AFC West teams we pegged in the preseason as possibly staring three or four wins in the face. They have both had surprising starts to the season while the Jags are somehow worse than we imagined. And they haven't even hit rock bottom yet.
Jacksonville Jaguars AT Seattle Seahawks next week. The line has opened at "forfeit"— Mark Whitaker (@JaggedMark) September 16, 2013
Turns out, "forfeit" was an exaggeration, but not by much; the Jaguars are 19.5-point underdogs against the Seahawks this week. That's ridiculous for a team that plays in a league where we're always talking about parity. For some perspective, UConn is only getting 17 points against Michigan.
Put another way: The Jags are the American Athletic Conference of the NFL. And expect bettors to go heavy on Seattle, moving the line further north.
It's not all bad, though. While the Jags are a pitiful outfit, historically speaking, they're not the worst, at least in Vegas' eyes. According to ASHNSports.com, here are the biggest point spreads since 1972:
• Dec. 5, 1976: Steelers (-27) vs. Buccaneers. Pittsburgh won 42-0.
• Nov. 25, 2007: Patriots (-24.5) vs. Eagles. New England won 31-28.
• Dec. 5, 1998: 49ers (-24) vs. Bengals. San Francisco won 21-8.
• Oct. 11, 1987: 49ers (-23.5) vs. Falcons. San Francisco won 25-17.
• Oct. 2, 1977: Cowboys (-23) vs. Buccaneers. Dallas won 23-7.
• Dec. 23, 2007: Patriots (-22.5) vs. Dolphins. New England won 28-7.
• Dec. 12, 1976: Patriots (-21) vs. Buccaneers. New England won 31-14.
There's your moral victory, Jacksonville. The Jags might be a clown car of an organization in 2013, but they don't even crack the top-5 of all-time disasters. (Of course, it didn't have to be this way.)
In case you're wondering (via Bovada), the Jaguars are 1-6 against the spread in their last seven games, and 0-5 straight-up in their last five. The Seahawks, meanwhile, are 8-1 against the spread and 5-0 straight up.
Place your wagers accordingly.