During the last week, word emerged of an incident at a golf course involving Richie Incognito -- currently suspended for allegedly harassing teammate Jonathan Martin -- for also allegedly harassing a female Dolphins fan during a team event. On Saturday Dolphins coach Joe Philbin acknowledged the incident.
Philbin also said that the team addressed the incident and "took immediate action."
"That incident occurred a year-and-a-half ago," Philbin said at a press conference. "We were made aware of the incident, and we took immediate action."
Asked what action specifically the team took, Philbin declined to comment, only confirming they "took immediate action."
"That's all I'm going to say," Philbin said. "We were made aware of the incident, and we took immediate action."
So here's a good question. Why, then, was Incognito on the leadership council this season after having that incident so recently? As you might expect, Philbin was pretty buttoned up as well.
"Any club action that we would take against any player will be kept private," Philbin said. "We wouldn't describe any of that."
Philbin can't say much here because, well, that's what NFL coaches do. But there was clearly a problem with Incognito before this season. And Philbin didn't do much to take care of it.