Ex-NFL DE Hugh Douglas to plead no contest to misdemeanor

By John Breech | CBSSports.com

Hugh Douglas will plead no contest to a misdemeanor in Connecticut. (Twitter/@BigHugh53)
Hugh Douglas will plead no contest to a misdemeanor in Connecticut. (Twitter/@BigHugh53)

Former NFL defensive end Hugh Douglas is set to plead no contest to a misdemeanor in Connecticut, Douglas' lawyer told the Associated Press on Friday. The plea will resolve a case that started in September when Douglas was charged with third-degree assault and second-degree strangulation of his girlfriend.

At the time the charges were filed, Douglas told police that the woman was injured while the two were having rough sex. Corey Brinson, Douglas' attorney, said that Douglas will be pleading no contest to a breach of peace charge, which should keep the 42-year-old from serving any jail time.

The September charges came just weeks after Douglas was fired from his job at ESPN. Douglas had been co-hosting the show Numbers Never Lie, but was fired on Aug. 13 from ESPN after the Network investigated an Aug. 2 incident where he was alleged to have drunkenly accosted co-host Michael Smith at a party.

Douglas spent 10 seasons in the NFL (1995-2004) with Philadelphia, Jacksonville and the New York Jets. After being selected 16th overall by the Jets in the 1995 NFL Draft, Douglas went on to win the Defensive Rookie of the Year award.

 
CBSSports Facebook Google Plus
COMMENTS
Conversation powered by Livefyre
NEVER MISS A MOCK DRAFT
Sign up to our newsletter and find out who your team could be picking
 

nfl Video

July 10, 2014
Sherman rips Crabtree (1:07)
1 July 9, 2014
Jim Rome Newsmaker: Dashon Goldson
(5:52)
2 July 9, 2014
Steve Tisch: Manziel doesn't fit profile of a Giant
(4:26)
3 July 10, 2014
Sherman still dislikes Crabtree
(2:22)

Latest

Most Popular