ORLANDO -- The best part about the coaches' breakfasts during the NFL owners' meetings? A full hour of Bill Belichick taking questions from the media before 8 a.m. ET.
I don't hide my shameless enjoyment of Belichick's press conferences and Tuesday during the AFC portion of the breakfast, Belichick was in midseason form.
For instance, someone asked him about Rob Gronkowski and, as you can see in the video above, he did not like that one bit. Belichick initially said the Patriots "stay in touch with all their players year round" to the inquiry about Gronk and then it got real awkward when he was asked if Gronk would be healthy by the start of the season.
"Did you seriously ask me that question?"
But it wasn't all icy glares from Belichick (though the last 10 minutes or so he looked like he'd hit some sort of media wall). He had some fun too, like when he was asked how the NFL would afford to put cameras in all the end zones.
"Maybe we could have a bake sale," Belichick said. "Raise some money for the cameras. Do a car wash."
And Belichick, who was the only coach not present for a head coach photoshoot on Monday, was asked why he didn't make it in time for the picture.
“I missed it," Belichick said. "Maybe they can photoshop me in there."
Sure thing, Bill:
— Will Brinson (@WillBrinson) March 25, 2014
A few more fun and/or newsworthy nuggets:
- On Revis calling him names, Belichick said that "any conversations between myself and the players are between us."
- Asked about Vince Wilfork, Belichick said "I don't really know what the nature of your question, maybe that's something you have to talk to Vince about" and when asked about Wilfork wanting his release, Belichick invoked the "specific player" clause.
- On whether this year is more urgent than before because of Tom Brady's age: "We try to have a competitive team every year."
- What did he think of Texans coach Bill O'Brien when he initially hired him? "Good football coach."
- Is Greg Schiano a resource of Belichick's for football purposes? "Look, I have a lot of friends and people that I talk to in this business."
- Why does Belichick keep coaching? "I just enjoy it. I don't know why. I just do."
And in conclusion, a GIF of Belichick from the day's festivities