Two weeks ago, nose tackle Vince Wilfork reportedly asked the Patriots for his release. He was in the final year of a deal that would pay him $7.5 million in 2014, and the team was interested in him taking a pay cut.
On Thursday, the two sides restructed his deal and agreed to terms on a three-year, $22.5 million deal, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.
Wilfork took to Twitter to explain the renegotiation process.
My thoughts pic.twitter.com/MUW3I3ml4Y— Vince Wilfork (@wilfork75) March 27, 2014
A 2004 first-round pick out of the University of Miami, Wilfork suffered an Achilles injury during the first month of the 2013 season and, not surprisingly, the run defense suffered. Now he'll return to anchor a unit that will be much improved in 2014, thanks in part to the addition of cornerbacks Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner.
At the annual NFL owners meetings earlier this week, Patriots owner Robert Kraft said he wasn't giving up hope that Wilfork would return.
"You know, going back over the last 20 years, if I was to think, we've had some pretty special people come through and [Wilfork] is one of my personal favorites," Kraft said. "I'm thinking of Tedy Bruschi and Matt Light and Kevin Faulk and Troy Brown, they made their careers with us. I surely hope Vince will be with us next year. In modern-day athletics, in pro sports, it's a business as well as commitment to one another.
"We have to work through and I'm still not giving up hope that he'll be part of our team next year."
And now Wilfork is back on a three-year deal.