It's been almost two weeks since former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was indicted for a July 2012 double-murder drive-by shooting that took place on the streets of Boston. According to the Associated Press, Hernandez will be arraigned Wednesday.
“Mr. (Daniel) Abreu and Mr. (Safiro) Furtado were ambushed and executed as they drove home. Aaron Hernandez is the principal, the shooter, and the person responsible for taking the lives of the two victims," Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley said in a May 15 press conference.
Conley explained that as Abreu and Furtado left a nightclub around 2 a.m., they were followed by Hernandez, who was in an SUV. As Abreau and Furtado stopped a red light, the SUV that carried Hernandez pulled up on the right and Hernandez opened fire with a .38 caliber revolver. Abreu, who was driving, was shot multiple times, including a fatal shot to the chest. Furtado, in the front passenger seat, was also shot multiple times, including a fatal shot to the head. Three of the five passengers in the car were shot.
"For us, the case was never about Aaron Hernandez," Conley said, "but about two victims who were stalked, ambushed and murdered."
It has been previously reported that the weapon used in the shooting was found last August. And two months after that, a man who survived the drive-by shooting identified Hernandez, the former New England Patriots tight end, as the man who pulled the trigger.
According to relatives of the two men killed in the shooting (and later corroborated by the District Attorney), neither knew Hernandez. Both worked for a cleaning company and didn't have criminal records.
Hernandez is currently in jail awaiting trial on first-degree murder charges for the shooting death of Odin Lloyd. Hernandez has previously pleaded not guilty to killing Lloyd.