A year ago, Richie Incognito was the starting left guard for the Miami Dolphins. By early November he had been suspended after allegedly serving as the ringleader in a bullying scandal involving then-teammate Jonathan Martin. Incognito never played again in 2013 and the team didn't re-sign him in the offseason.
Now he remains out of work but is hopeful that he can revive his NFL career. On Thursday, Incognito told USAToday.com that "we've had some nibbles," in terms of teams interested in his services, but added, "I'm not talking until I get picked up,'' said Incognito, 31. "I'm standing pat on that.''
So for the time being, Incognito waits.
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said last weekend in a response to a question about the Dolphins bullying scandal (via the Newark Star-Ledger), "I would say that the one person who has been very responsive in going through the program has been Richie Incognito. We're working with his people and monitoring his progress on that front.”
As for potential suitors, Raiders owner Mark Davis said he wouldn't rule out signing Incognito, but that was at the owners meetings in March and clearly there has been no movement on that front since.
But that could change, especially as injuries happen in the coming weeks and months. Incognito, who has been working out while he waits for another opportunity, ranked 25th among all offensive guards last season, according to ProFootballFocus.com.
Meanwhile, Martin is a member of the 49ers where he's been reunited with his college coach, Jim Harbaugh.