Romo had X-rays to check the progress of his L1 vertebrae fracture last week, The Dallas Morning News reports.
Romo's X-rays were simply done to see how his recovery was going and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said everything was on track afterward. Although Jones was unsure when Romo would take the next step in his rehab, Romo's initial 6-to-10 week timetable still appears to be in effect. While Romo continues to nurse his injured back, rookie Dak Prescott will keep Dallas' starting quarterback position.
Tapper (back) will not play in the Cowboys' regular season opener, Rob Phillips of the team's official site reports.
Tapper seems to be in the final stretch of his recovery from the back ailment, and could return as soon as Week 2. His level of participation in next week's practices will shed more light on the situation.
Gregory (suspension) reported to the Cowboys' practice facility Monday, although he's not allowed to practice with the team until early October, The Dallas Morning News reports.
The defensive end is currently serving a four-game suspension and is undergoing treatment for substance abuse, but a longer suspension is still looming as the NFL takes its time in scheduling a hearing on his appeal. After a lackluster Week 1 showing from the Cowboys' pass rush they could really use Gregory in the lineup, but his eventual return date remains up in the air.
Smith (knee) was placed on the reserve/non-football injury list Tuesday, Brandon George of The Dallas Morning News reports.
By adding Smith to this list, the Cowboys will effectively keep their second round pick sidelined for the first six games of the 2016 season. Reports indicate that Smith is likely to be placed on IR once those six weeks pass. Entering the season, there was a small glimmer of hope that Smith could maybe find a way onto the field this year, but it appears the rookie won't be ready to showcase his health until 2017.
Lawrence's four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy has been upheld, Todd Archer of ESPN reports.
Lawrence received the four-game suspension back in April and filed an appeal in May. Now that the suspension has been upheld it's clear that Dallas will be without Lawrence, Randy Gregory (suspension), and Rolando McClain (suspension) to start the year, three significant players on the team's front seven. With Lawrence out, Ryan Russell, David Irving, and Benson Mayowa figure to see some extra snaps to start the year.
McClain (suspended) will be placed on the Cowboys' reserve/did not report list, ESPN.com reports.
McClain has already been suspended for the first 10 games of the upcoming season, but was still expected to report for training camp Wednesday. Since McClain, who skipped most of Dallas' offseason program, remains away from the team, his status appears increasingly shaky. Furthermore, after the Cowboys signed veteran Justin Durant recently, McClain's open roster spot could be filled by another linebacker, making McClain more expendable.
McFadden (elbow) said he may never regain the ability to fully extend his right arm, the Dallas Morning News reports.
Officially ruled out for at least the first six weeks of the season, McFadden still hasn't practiced since fracturing his elbow in early June. Even if doesn't regain the ability to fully extend his arm, McFadden should be available by mid-season. It does seem quite possible that McFadden's injury could have a long-term impact on his ability to contribute in the passing game, but the Cowboys already have a pair of capable receiving backs in Ezekiel Elliott and Lance Dunbar (knee). As for early downs, Alfred Morris is expected to serve as Elliott's top backup.