Cowboys QB Tony Romo throws for 506 yards in loss to Broncos
For 58 minutes, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo was the best quarterback on the field. He had out-Peyton Manning-ed Peyton Manning, throwing for more than 500 yards.
For 58 minutes, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo was the best quarterback on the field. He had out- Peyton Manning -ed Peyton Manning, completing 25 of 35 passes for 506 yards and 5 touchdowns. But with the score tied 48-48 and the Cowboys facing a 2nd and 16 from their own 14-yard line, Romo did what his critics always expect him to do with the game on the line: He threw an interception.
It was Romo's first pick since the first quarter of Week 1, and just his second on the season. But his timing couldn't have been worse. Manning is unquestionably the NFL's best quarterback, and he ended the day with 414 yards passing yards (to go along with 4 touchdown passes -- and for the first time in five years -- a rushing TD). Give him a short field with 1:57 to go and you can go ahead and get the tombstone engraved.
A Matt Prater field goal as time expired gave the Broncos the 51-48 victory their 16th straight in the regular-season, and the Cowboys their second consecutive loss.
Romo, meanwhile, becomes just the 15th player in history to surpass the 500-yard mark but we're guessing he'd trade his place on a pretty exclusive list for a much-needed win. For now, Norm Van Brocklin's 62-year-old record remains safe.
NFL single-game passing yards leaders (via Pro-Football-Reference.com)
1. Norm Van Brocklin, 554 yards, LA
St. Louis Rams
vs. New York Yanks, September 28, 1951
2. Matt Schaub , 527 yards, Houston Texans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars , November 18, 2012
3. Warren Moon, 527 yards, Houston Oilers vs. Kansas City Chiefs , December 16, 1990
4. Boomer Esiason, 522 yards, Houston Oilers vs. Kansas City Chiefs, December 16, 1990
5. Dan Marino, 522 yards, Miami Dolphins vs. New York Jets , October 23, 1988
6. Matthew Stafford , 520 yards, Detroit Lions vs. Green Bay Packers , January 1, 2012
7. Tom Brady , 517 yards, New England Patriots vs. Miami Dolphins, September 12, 2011
8. Phil Simms, 513 yards, New York Giants vs. Cincinnati Bengals , October 13, 1985
9. Eli Manning , 510 yards, New York Giants vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers , September 16, 2012
10. Drew Brees , 510 yards, New Orleans Saints vs. Cincinnati Bengals, November 19, 2006
11. Vince Ferragamo, 509 yards, Los Angeles Rams vs. Chicago Bears , December 26, 1982
12. Tony Romo, 506 yards, Denver Broncos vs. Dallas Cowboys , October 6, 2013
13. Y.A. Tittle, 505 yards, New York Giants vs. Washington Redskins , October 28, 1962
14. Elvis Grbac, 504 yards, Kansas City Chiefs vs. Oakland Raiders , November 5, 2000
15. Ben Roethlisberger , 503 yards, Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Packers, December 20, 2009
Our Latest Stories
Packers cornerback Makinton Darleant is also charged in incident early Sunday morning
Panthers owner Jerry Richardson won't be in attendance as he continues to battle health is...
The Raiders vote is expected as early as Monday, and 'pace of play' is also high up on the...
Translation: The Browns want to upgrade at the quarterback position
Oher missed the final 13 games of the 2016 season
The new Packers tight end says he was inspired by his brother, Seahawks defensive end Michael...