Davone Bess arrested, hospitalized 10 months ago

Davone Bess was traded to Cleveland a month after he was arrested. (USATSI)
Davone Bess was traded to Cleveland a month after he was arrested. (USATSI)

Browns wide receiver Davone Bess' run-ins with authorities date back at least 10 months -- and just one month before the Dolphins traded him to the Browns -- when he was arrested in his Cooper City, Fla. home.

That time, it took six deputies from the Broward Sheriff's Office to restrain him as he yelled “Hide the guns!” “Where is my weed?” and “I want to get in the end zone; throw me the football!," according to the incident report obtained by the Miami Herald's Adam Beasley.

More from Beasley:

When the first deputy arrived, he noted a strong smell of cannabis coming from the master bedroom. The deputy also observed several males trying to restrain an agitated, incoherent Bess, who was trying to throw them off. He started screaming about guns and drugs and football. Efforts by fire rescue to sedate him were unsuccessful.

Finally, a half-dozen cops were able to pin him down. Bess was taken to Memorial East Hospital for observation.

Bess' mother, Chinell Carpenter, had flown in that day from California after receiving a call that her son was not acting like himself. She said then that Bess had not slept in three days and was going through some serious personal issues. Carpenter added that Bess had no prior psychiatric history and was on no medication.

Bess' family had him hospitalized against his will, and a month later, the Dolphins shipped him to Cleveland. A Browns spokesman said Friday that the team is aware of the situation and currently gathering more information.

Meanwhile, Bess, who played in 14 games during the 2013 season and caught 42 passes for 382 yards and 2 touchdowns, has been under scrutiny in recent days. First, he posted photos to Twitter of what appears to be marijuana. And Friday, he was arrested for allegedly assaulting an officer at the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood (Fla.) International Airport.

According to the incident report, Bess was walking through the airport concourse "acting irrationally." When he was approached by a Broward Sheriff's Office deputy who works the airport detail, Bess crushed a cup of coffee on the deputy and assumed a fighting stance.

After backup arrived, Bess surrendered and was taken into custody.

Later, after Bess was bonded out of jail, CBS-4 asked him what he would do next.

“Get back to helping kids all over the world,” Bess responded.

Bess missed the final two games of the 2013 season after the Browns placed him on the non-football injury list. And the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Bess had been dealing with personal issues for some time and had been battling insomnia. He had flown back to Florida to seek treatment.

If the Browns decide to cut ties with Bess they can't do so until after the Super Bowl; all rosters for teams not taking part in then postseason are frozen until then.

CBS Sports Writer

Ryan Wilson has been an NFL writer for CBS Sports since June 2011, and he's covered five Super Bowls in that time. Ryan previously worked at AOL's FanHouse from start to finish, and Football Outsiders... Full Bio

Show Comments Hide Comments
CBS Sports Store
NFL Cold Weather Gear
Our Latest Stories