Jerry Jones reportedly insists Cowboys won't take a QB at No. 4

If nothing else, Jerry Jones has been consistent when it comes to the Cowboys' first-round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft. The owner and general manager has insisted all offseason that the team won't select a quarterback fourth overall, and he reiterated it again to former Cowboys general manager Gil Brandt.

"Jerry told me recently that he will unequivocally not take a quarterback at No. 4, where the Cowboys draft this year. I believe him," Brandt wrote for NFL.com on Wednesday. "It makes sense if you think Romo will make a full recovery from offseason surgery, will be your starter for at least three more years, and your team has a window of opportunity that will remain open by filling more glaring needs with the top pick in the draft."

That's the story Jones has been selling in recent weeks -- that Romo, who'll be 36 next month -- has "four or five years" left in the tank, and that the Cowboys can be competitive in the near term instead of taking several seasons to groom a young replacement.

"There are many options," Jones said at the Senior Bowl in late January. "There's free agency ... We have to (draft a QB) to do what? We have to win a Super Bowl next year? Do we have to compete for a Super Bowl in the future? Do you have to have it in place after this draft? There's no have-to here, in my mind, because we have the luxury of having Romo here for three, four, five more years."

Jerry Jones would like to remind you that the Cowboys won't draft a QB in the first round. (USATSI)
Jerry Jones would like to remind you that the Cowboys won't draft a QB in the first round. (USATSI)

Turns out, Brandt agrees with Jones.

"It's not only a smart move, but I believe it's the only move, as tempting as it might be if a player like Carson Wentz is still on the board when the Cowboys pick," Brandt wrote. "If I were Jerry, I'd wait on my quarterback in the later rounds, develop him, and let him learn from Romo. It's a luxury Dallas can afford."

Jones hasn't hidden the fact that he's a big fan of both Johnny Manziel and Robert Griffin III, two young quarterbacks who will hit the open market in the coming days. But Manziel's off-field issues could mean he's out of football in 2016, and Griffin is a poor fit for the Cowboys' offense.

Meanwhile, it sounds like Cowboys coach Jason Garrett got the organization's talking points on the quarterback situation.

"Certainly we want to have a young quarterback in our program who we're developing to be a guy who replaces Tony Romo at some point," Garrett told NFL Network at the combine last week. "Does that mean we take him in the first round, the second round or the third round? I don't know that. We've got to evaluate these guys and sort out who we like at all the positions."

And when that day comes, Jones hopes it looks a lot like the Brett Favre-Aaron Rodgers transition that took place in Green Bay in 2008. Just don't expect the Cowboys' version of Rodgers to come in the form of a 2016 first-round pick. At least that's what Jones wants us to believe.

CBS Sports Writer

Ryan Wilson has been an NFL writer for CBS Sports since June 2011, and he's covered five Super Bowls in that time. Ryan previously worked at AOL's FanHouse from start to finish, and Football Outsiders... Full Bio

Show Comments Hide Comments
CBS Sports Store
NFL Nike Gear
Our Latest Stories