Mock draft: Ansah jumps to No. 2 in pre-free-agency shuffle
Before free agency changes team needs, Pete Prisco mocks the first round of the draft. He has BYU's Ziggy Ansah jumping all the way to No. 2.
Doing a pre-free-agency mock is tough to do. But there have been trades that shake things up, so it's time for another.
Receiver Percy Harvin goes from Minnesota to Seattle for the Seahawks' first-round pick, which means Minnesota has two picks in the first round.
And Anquan Boldin goes to San Francisco in a trade, which means the 49ers might not draft a receiver, but the Ravens might.
|More on the NFL|
|More NFL coverage|
Luke Joeckel remains my pick to be the first choice by Kansas City, but that can change in the next month. We will see.
1. Kansas City Chiefs -- Luke Joeckel, T, Texas A&M: I still think that with Brandon Albert getting the franchise tag, they take the safe player here. Don't forget Albert has back issues.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU: He is a project, but they don't need to rush. He just needs to be a force in a year or two.
3. Oakland Raiders -- Sharrif Floyd , DT, Florida: The inside of their defense is a mess, and this kid is a force.
4. Philadelphia Eagles -- Dee Milliner , CB, Alabama: They have nothing on the corner, and this kid could step in and start.
5. Detroit Lions -- Barkevious Mingo , DE, LSU: Speed, speed and more speed. The Lions need pass-rush help.
6. Cleveland Browns -- Jarvis Jones , OLB, Georgia: He has some medical issues, but man, can he rush the passer.
7. Arizona Cardinals -- Geno Smith , QB, West Virginia: He is a deep-ball thrower and Bruce Arians loves the deep ball.
8. Buffalo Bills -- Matt Barkley , QB, USC: They have to get a passer at some point to build this team around.
9. New York Jets -- Dion Jordan , OLB, Oregon: At some point, they have to get an edge rusher who can change the game.
10. Tennessee Titans -- Jonathan Cooper , G, North Carolina: The interior of the offensive line needs an upgrade.
11. San Diego Chargers -- Eric Fisher , T, Western Michigan: They have a huge hole at left tackle and he would fill it if he lasts this long.
12. Miami Dolphins -- Xavier Rhodes , CB, Florida State: With Sean Smith likely gone -- and with Tom Brady still in their division -- they must find a quality cover corner.
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Star Lotulelei , DT, Utah: They will probably lose Roy Miller , so they can take this kid and pair him inside with Gerald McCoy .
14. Carolina Panthers -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri: The middle of their defense is a mess. This kid would help.
15. New Orleans Saints -- Lane Johnson , T, Oklahoma: If they don't re-sign Jermon Bushrod , they have to get somebody to protect Drew Brees ' backside.
16. St. Louis Rams -- Chance Warmack , G, Alabama: Jeff Fisher loves to pound the football, so this makes sense.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Damontre Moore , OLB, Texas A&M: He hasn't had great workouts, but the Steelers need a pass rusher off the edge.
18. Dallas Cowboys -- Johnathan Hankins , DT, Ohio State: The middle of their defense needs to be fortified and Hankins can do it.
19. New York Giants -- Bjoern Werner , DE, Florida State: They love drafting pass rushers and this is a Tom Coughlin kind of player.
20. Chicago Bears -- Tyler Eifert , TE, Notre Dame: Marc Trestman's offense needs a quality pass-catching tight end.
21. Cincinnati Bengals -- Datone Jones , DE, UCLA: Michael Johnson has been tagged and Carlos Dunlap is up next year. They need another.
22. St. Louis Rams (From Washington Redskins ): Cordarrelle Patterson , WR, Tennessee -- They add to the two they got last year and now hope one emerges as a star.
23. Minnesota Vikings -- Tavon Austin , WR, West Virginia: They replace Percy Harvin with a similar player with less baggage.
24. Indianapolis Colts -- Desmond Trufant , CB, Washington: He is a solid cover player who would fill a major need.
25. Minnesota Vikings (From Seattle Seahawks ): Menelik Watson , T, FSU: They could lose Phil Loadholt and this kid could step right in and start.
26. Green Bay Packers -- Kawann Short , DT, Purdue: They have to get better in the middle of their defense.
27. Houston Texans -- Keenan Allen , WR, Cal: They have to get help for Andre Johnson .
28. Denver Broncos -- Jesse Williams , DT, Alabama: The interior of their line needs upgrading.
29. New England Patriots -- Robert Woods , WR, USC: At some point, they have to upgrade their outside passing game.
30. Atlanta Falcons -- Zach Ertz , TE, Stanford: Tony Gonzalez , if he comes back, can't play forever.
31. San Francisco 49ers -- Johnthan Banks , CB, Mississippi State: Their corners were exposed some in the playoffs.
32. Baltimore Ravens -- Justin Hunter , WR, Tennessee: Anquan Boldin is gone, so they get a young replacement.
Our Latest Stories
No days off? Belichick one of two coaches to miss group photo
The 39-year-old quarterback doesn't plan on retiring anytime soon
Lamp’s performance continues the momentum he's created for himself throughout his senior s...
Not everyone was on board with the Raiders' move
'I want to make it as terrible and horrible for Mark Davis as possible,' says one former Raiders...
This what the Raiders' new stadium might look like