Mock draft No. 10: Closing some deals but linemen still top eight
There will be the usual position-jockeying trades, and Pat Kirwan predicts those. He also calls the rest of Round 1 with Geno Smith and Matt Barkley going 28 and 32.
1. Kansas City Chiefs -- Luke Joeckel , OT, Texas A&M: The Chiefs could make this easy and get a deal done before the draft. Very reliable sources told me don't be surprised if it's Eric Fisher at the top spot. I talked with Joeckel this week and he said he had no idea if the Chiefs were going to take him.
2. Detroit Lions (trade) -- Eric Fisher , OT, Central Michigan: If the Jaguars stay in this spot and stay true to their board they will take Joeckel or Fisher. A left tackle who can play for 10 years is always a solid pick. They will get some action to move down and the fall to No. 5 isn't bad. The Lions have the left tackle to protect Stafford.
|More 2013 NFL Draft coverage|
3. Oakland Raiders -- Sharrif Floyd , DT Florida: If the Jags pass on the second left tackle, the Raiders have a decision to make: Should they take the left tackle, move down or just take Floyd? At least three teams right below them need a left tackle and the Raiders need more picks.
4. Philadelphia Eagles -- Dion Jordan , OLB, Oregon: The Eagles are building a 3-4 defense and need an OLB with pass rush skills. Jordan played for Chip Kelly. If they take Jordan, I would expect them to re-enter the first round late and grab a QB. Either Geno Smith or EJ Manuel could be the choice.
5. Jacksonville Jaguars (trade) -- Ezekiel Ansah , DE, BYU: The Jags get the guy they were going to take at No. 2 but picked up a draft pick to move down.
6. Arizona Cardinals (trade) -- Lane Johnson , LT, Oklahoma. The Cardinals deal with the Browns to prevent San Diego or Miami from jumping ahead of them for Johnson.
7. Cleveland Browns (trade) -- Barkevious Mingo , OLB/DE, LSU: Mingo helps build the pass rush they need, and they will come back in the second round by packaging picks to get a corner. I had a head coach tell me that he likes Mingo more than Jordan.
8. Buffalo Bills -- Chance Warmack , OG, Alabama: The popular notion is that Ryan Nassib is the Bills' pick, but after watching Nassib at the Senior Bowl for a week, this is too high to take him. Later on a re-entry into the first or just waiting for the second round, they should have a choice of Nassib, Matt Barkley or even Mike Glennon . The Bills must get a QB the fans can get excited about in this draft.
9. New York Jets -- Dee Milliner , CB, Alabama: It's clear the Jets have to manufacture pass rush with pressure calls, which eventually gets them in trouble, but Milliner at this point is too good to pass up. A head coach told me that Milliner is fine health wise in his eyes.
10. Tennessee Titans -- Star Lotulelei , DT, Utah: Star can run sideline to sideline, pressure the QB, collapse a pocket and stop the run game.
11. San Diego Chargers -- Jonathan Cooper , OG, North Carolina: The Chargers need offensive line help, and this is the last lineman with a first-round grade. Someone might reach for Menelik Watson but Cooper is ready now.
12. Miami Dolphins -- Xavier Rhodes , CB, Florida State: I was told by one secondary coach that Rhodes is the top corner on their board. If he's still available when Miami picks the Dolphins solve the loss of Sean Smith .
13. N.Y. Jets (from Tampa Bay) -- Jarvis Jones , OLB, Georgia: The Jets fortify the defense with a productive pass rusher.
14. Carolina Panthers -- Sylvester Williams , DT, North Carolina: The Panthers need help on the inside of the defensive line and Williams beats out Sheldon Richardson . A head coach told me Williams is the better pick with Lotulelei gone.
15. New Orleans Saints -- Kenny Vaccaro , S, Texas: The OLB prospects are gone and Vaccaro sets the tone in the secondary.
16. St. Louis Rams -- Tavon Austin , WR, West Virginia: The Rams have two picks in the first round and have to decide when to take the wide receiver and when to take the safety. No matter which way they go, the Steelers may react by taking the other player.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Matt Elam , S, Florida: I had a GM tell me that Elam is one nasty player who brings it all the time. Sounds like a Steeler to me. Jarvis Jones and Kenny Vaccaro are off the board.
18. Dallas Cowboys -- D.J. Fluker , OT, Alabama: This guy reminds the Cowboys of the Erik Williams days. He will open up the run game right away.
19. N.Y. Giants -- Menelik Watson , OT, Florida State: A risky pick but the Giants did the same kind of thing when they took JPP.
20. Chicago Bears -- Cordarrelle Patterson , WR, Tennessee: The Bears may talk about a linebacker like Manti Te'o or Alec Ogletree , but they both have issues. I had a player tell me Patterson was the best athlete in the SEC, and the head coach thinks passing game.
21. Cincinnati Bengals -- Eddie Lacy , RB, Alabama: Not many think Lacy is going in the first round, but last year three running backs did go in the first round and played well. The Bengals will have a dangerous offense with Lacy behind Dalton.
22. St. Louis Rams -- Eric Reid , S, LSU: Vaccaro is gone in this mock but Reid is an excellent second choice. He has range, ball skills and likes contact.
23. Minnesota Vikings -- Sheldon Richardson , DT, Missouri: The Vikings need a corner, which they will get in Round 2. With Sylvester Williams gone, Richardson is too good to pass up.
24. Indianapolis Colts -- Bjoern Werner , DE, Florida State: The Colts always seem to need defensive line help. Werner is big enough to handle the two gap responsibilities and quick enough to be a solid pass rusher.
25. Minnesota Vikings -- Justin Hunter , WR, Tennessee: Greg Jennings and Hunter give the Vikings firepower in the passing game. Hunter has speed and leaping ability.
26. Green Bay Packers -- Tyler Eifert , TE, Notre Dame: Green Bay needs a safety who has a presence with Charles Woodson gone, but Elam and Vaccaro are taken. Eifert will be very productive at the other end of Aaron Rodgers passes, and with Finley, will create a dangerous two-tight-end package like the Patriots have.
27. Houston Texans -- DeAndre Hopkins , WR, Clemson: Hopkins had 18 touchdown receptions last year, and the Texans don't get enough of that production from their receivers. Hopkins just doesn't drop balls and should have a very productive year opposite Andre Johnson.
28. Philadelphia Eagles (trade) -- Geno Smith , QB, West Virginia: The Eagles trade with Denver and take Smith. As Phil Simms said to me, Smith is the best QB in the draft and the top guy to run Chip Kelly's offense. The Broncos can come back in the second round with the Philly pick and take Damontre Moore , DE, Texas A&M. You don't see his name in many mock drafts, but he's 20 years old with pass-rush production. He has natural bend to get past tackles and could be reunited with his college teammate, Von Miller .
29. New England Patriots -- Johnthan Banks , CB, Mississippi State: The Patriots might like Banks' teammate, Darius Slay , which is a good choice. But Banks is a tall playmaker who has a knack for interceptions.
30. Atlanta Falcons -- Desmond Trufant , CB, Washington: Trufant matches up with the best receivers, has great measurables and the Falcons lost Brent Grimes in free agency.
31. San Francisco 49ers -- Johnathan Cyprien , S, Florida International: Cyprien really helped himself at the Senior Bowl and could get consideration. A defensive tackle is also a possibility.
32. Buffalo Bills (trade) -- Matt Barkley , QB, USC: The Bills trade for the Ravens pick and take Barkley over Ryan Nassib of Syracuse. The Ravens will take Kevin Minter , LB, LSU with the Bills' second-round pick. The Ravens could consider Manti Te'o, but Minter is better against the pass and a better guy to take on guards. In the Ravens scheme, Minter has a better chance to be a three-down player.
Four defensive backs are picked in the final five spots of the first round in Rob Rang's final...
The last version of Will Brinson's 2017 NFL Mock Draft sees the Chiefs land their new franchise...
Character has become such a concern for draft prospects that scouts spend a majority of their...
Also, expect Haason Reddick to go higher than expected and Reuben Foster to be taken on Th...
Plus the Cowboys and Steelers find new cornerbacks late in the first round in Dane Brugler's...
The league appears fully prepared if the Browns decide to pull off a few unexpected trades