Mock Draft No. 4: Geno Smith can't pass Barkley despite huge pro day
Geno Smith wowed scouts with his precise passing at his pro day, but Pat Kirwan still has USC's Matt Barkley as the top QB taken in the draft, to Arizona at No. 7.
Kansas City Chiefs
, OT, Central Michigan: Fisher was my pick last week and will remain the Chiefs' pick. Nothing they have done in free agency would indicate they are headed in a different direction.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Luke Joeckel , OT, Texas A&M: The Jags have many needs but Joeckel will be the highest-ranked player on their board and a 10-year starter.
3. Oakland Raiders -- Sharrif Floyd , DT, Florida: Nothing new on the Raiders' front as they take an instant starter on a porous defense.
|More on the NFL Draft|
|More NFL coverage|
4. Philadelphia Eagles -- Dee Milliner , CB, Alabama: The Eagles may consider QB Geno Smith in this spot but they may come back in the second round for a QB like EJ Manuel .
5. Detroit Lions -- Barkevious Mingo , DE, LSU: After watching a few more LSU games especially the Washington game I can see the rare athletic ability in Mingo. He reminds me of Jason Taylor but quicker.
6. Cleveland Browns -- Jarvis Jones , OLB, Georgia: Granted they signed Paul Kruger but to put Jones 74 plays behind the line of scrimmage on the opposite side makes the Brown defense dangerous.
7. Arizona Cardinals -- Matt Barkley , QB, USC: The rumors about the Cardinals passing on a QB in the first round are hard to believe considering the offense would be left to Drew Stanton and Brian Hoyer. Barkley's pro day is coming and so is his private workout.
8. Buffalo Bills -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia: The Bills' situation isn't much different than the Cardinals. There's no chance the Bills are starting Tarvaris Jackson or waiting until the second round and possibly missing out on the QB they want in this draft.
9. New York Jets -- Dion Jordan , OLB, Oregon: The Jets can't rush the passer and haven't addressed the issue in free agency. The only real pass rushers left in free agency are all older players like Abraham and Freeney.
10. Tennessee Titans -- Star Lotulelei , DT, Utah: The Utah DT can play NT or "3 Technique" and is a penetrator. His presence will enhance the opportunities for the defensive ends.
11. San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson , OT, Oklahoma: The Chargers need offensive line help at left tackle and guard. Take the LT in the first round and come back later for a guard. Johnson has all the athletic ability in the world to protect Philip Rivers ' blind side. He will struggle early with power rushers but will improve quickly.
12. Miami Dolphins -- Xavier Rhodes , CB, Florida State: Sean Smith is gone and the Dolphins need a big, physical corner. Rhodes has long arms and is aggressive. He may be an immediate upgrade from Smith.
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Desmond Trufant , CB, Washington: I'm sure the Bucs would like Rhodes in this spot, but Trufant has the quickness and has covered the top receivers in the Pac-12. An opening day starter. However, if the Bucs decide to trade for Darrelle Revis , this pick will change.
14. Carolina Panthers -- Chance Warmack , OG, Alabama: Warmack will be graded much higher than the 14th spot, but guards haven't gone in the top 10 in more than 10 years. He's a 10-year starter with a few trips to the Pro Bowl.
15. New Orleans Saints -- Ezekiel Ansah , OLB/DE, BYU: The Saints need outside linebackers who can rush the passer and be capable of putting their hand on the ground in the four-man rush. Ziggy is not as raw as advertised and will be effective early. Go watch the Senior Bowl to see what this guy is all about.
16. St. Louis Rams -- Kenny Vaccaro , S, Texas: Jeff Fisher is a former NFL safety and he knows a good one when he sees one. The Rams have excellent corners to play man coverage and now they have a safety to handle a matchup or play the deep middle.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Damontre Moore , OLB, Texas A&M: Moore ran poorly at the combine and has some off-field issues but was very productive in college. He made 72 plays behind the line of scrimmage including 26.5 sacks.
18. Dallas Cowboys -- Sheldon Richardson , DT, Missouri: The Cowboys might be tempted to take an offensive right tackle, but that means cutting Doug Free , and that doesn't create the cap space they need. It makes more sense to take a defensive tackle to team up with Jeremiah Ratliff and figure out later which one is the NT and the "3 Tech."
19. New York Giants -- Bjoern Werner . DE, Florida State: The Giants just signed Raiders tight end Brandon Myers , who is underrated. It permits the Giants to take the best available player, and they can never resist solid pass rushers. Werner had 35 sacks in 41 games.
20. Chicago Bears -- Cordarrelle Patterson , WR, Tennessee: The Bears are fixing their offensive-line problems in free agency and have a chance to take the highest rated wide receiver on the board to compliment Brandon Marshall .
21. Cincinnati Bengals -- D.J. Fluker , OT, Alabama: If the Bengals re-sign Andre Smith , then this pick changes. If not, then Fluker is the replacement.
22. St. Louis Rams -- Keenan Allen , WR, California: Sam Bradford needs more weapons especially with Danny Amendola gone to the Patriots. Allen has big play potential and he caught 205 balls in 33 games.
23. Minnesota Vikings -- Datone Jones , DE/DT, UCLA: The Vikings need a versatile defensive lineman considering Kevin Williams isn't getting any younger. Jones can play anywhere in the front.
24. Indianapolis Colts -- Sylvester Williams , DT, North Carolina: The Colts offense is in good shape. The defense needs to be stouter inside. Williams can play the nose and is quick enough to play outside.
25. Minnesota Vikings -- Tavon Austin , WR, West Virginia: Granted, the Vikings signed Greg Jennings , but they needed him before they lost Percy Harvin in a trade. Austin is an explosive playmaker that can replace some of the Harvin offense.
26. Green Bay Packers -- Jonathan Cooper , OG, North Carolina: The Packers need to protect Aaron Rodgers , who gets sacked too often. Cooper has a higher grade than this spot in the draft but as usual Ted Thompson gets a good player to fall to him.
27. Houston Texans -- DeAndre Hopkins , WR, Clemson: The Texans cut WR Kevin Walter and need a big receiver opposite Andre Johnson . They also need a guy that catches touchdown passes. Hopkins caught 18 TD passes last year and has 206 receptions in his career.
28. Denver Broncos -- Johnathan Hankins , DT, Ohio State: Hankins is young (21-years-old) and developing. John Fox has always liked big people inside and the signing of Terrence Knighton doesn't stop them from taking the big man.
29. New England Patriots -- Kawann Short , DT, Purdue: Short is versatile and productive. The Patriots play more four-man fronts than in years past and need disruptive players besides Vince Wilfork . His play at the Senior Bowl helped his stock.
30. Atlanta Falcons -- Alex Okafor , DE, Texas: The Falcons have done many things to make another run at the Super Bowl but they have a glaring need at pass rusher. Okafor is a high character guy in the mold of the Falcons' roster. He can play all down and distances and is talented enough to stand up and drop when defensive coordinator, Mike Nolan gets creative with the scheme.
31. San Francisco 49ers -- Eric Reid , S, LSU: The Niners lost Dashon Goldson and don't appear interested in Ed Reed . Eric Reid is a smart football player with solid tackling skills and the range to play the deep middle.
32. Baltimore Ravens -- Kevin Minter , MLB, LSU: The Ravens have lost Ray Lewis , Dannell Ellerbee and Paul Kruger. They may consider Alec Ogletree in this spot as well as Minter. Minter is a solid inside linebacker with range in the passing game, and speed to go sideline to sideline.
Our Latest Stories
You can go ahead and put those trade rumors to bed
Mitch Trubisky just misses the cut in a top 10 loaded with eight defensive prospects
The 45th president will be sitting down for an interview on Super Bowl Sunday
Can the Texans get more out of Brock Osweiler in 2017?
Sunday's AFC Championship Game can't get here fast enough
There's always next year for the Cowboys after falling to the Packers