Monday Musings: Bengals blew it
The Bengals could be sitting pretty in the playoff race, but lost a game they should have won to Dallas. Now they have to win it.
Monday Observations: Plenty of QBs should rent, not buy
• I have to tell you how classy the Cowboys were after their victory over the Bengals on Sunday. After losing a teammate, they handled themselves well in the locker room. Yes, it was easier because they won. But this was about life and death, not football. And Jason Garrett was sensational when he met the media. It was a tough time for the entire organization with the death of Jerry Brown, but I want to say how impressed I was with how they handled it.
• The hammer came down on Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron on Monday. What took so long? The Ravens have seemed to be a team without an identity on offense. I've said that for a long time. But let's not sugarcoat things here. Coach John Harbaugh deserves his share of the blame, too. This is on his head. He hired Cameron. He let him run the show. And you have to wonder what kind of offense Harbaugh wants: A lot of Ray Rice , or a little? Make a decision.
• Have to give it to Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton . He has turned his season around. Newton has really played well in the past four games. He threw for 287 yards and two scores and rushed for 116 yards and one touchdown in the Panthers' victory over the Falcons. He is the first player in NFL history to throw for over 250, rush for over 100, throw a touchdown pass and run for one in the same game.
• I say it every week, but here I go again: Adrian Peterson is amazing. He ran for 154 yards and two scores in Minnesota Vikings 's 21-14 victory over the Chicago Bears . ACL injury? What ACL injury?
• Memo to Robert Griffin III : Stay in the damn pocket. I've been saying for weeks that you can't make a living running around in the NFL. It's not safe. And RG3 took wicked shot on his knee during a scramble late in Sunday's game against the Ravens. The Washington Redskins are saying it's a knee sprain, but it sure looked worse. People hate to hear it, but RG3 has to cut down his running.
• Love what Kirk Cousins did when he came in relief of RGIII. He showed some real moxie. The throw on second-and-20, which most didn't see, was really impressive. The Redskins have to be happy the way that he handled himself when he came into the game.
• The New York Giants need to get David Wilson more carries from scrimmage. He is too explosive to just use on special teams. Speed kills.
• Is Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt in trouble? After seeing that devastating blowout loss in Seattle, you'd have to think he might be. Whisenhunt is owed $5.5 million, and the Cardinals aren't exactly known for throwing around money. But after four victories to open the season, Arizona has lost nine consecutive games. Ouch.
• One can only imagine what it would have been like if the Cardinals had landed Peyton Manning? They thought they had a real shot.
• What's wrong with Matt Ryan ? He just doesn't seem to be clicking. He better get it going soon. The playoffs are around the corner. The Atlanta Falcons play the Giants this week in Atlanta. People are questioning how good the Falcons really are. If they beat the Giants, that will stop. That's the NFL.
• So much for Ben Roethlisberger stepping onto the field and the Pittsburgh Steelers ' offense being fixed. It takes time to get back into a groove. The Steelers need him to do it this week at Dallas. They also have to run it better to help the passing game.
• Greg Hardy was right. The Carolina Panthers were better than the Falcons -- for a day. And give Hardy credit. He had a sack in the game, too.
• Rob Ryan's antics against the Bengals nearly cost his team a touchdown. Ryan started yelling at Bengals tackle Andre Smith near the Cowboys' sideline and carried it too far by going out on the field. He got a 15-yard penalty, but the Bengals still settled for a field goal. He has to be smarter than that.
• Chad Henne had a passer rating of 41.3 and had two picks against the Jets. He isn't the long-term answer in Jacksonville Jaguars .
• The personal-foul penalty on Cincinnati safety Reggie Nelson for a hit on Dez Bryant was a horrible call. That's going too far.
• The Vikings have a real playmaker in rookie safety Harrison Smith . Safeties who can run and cover are gold in this era of the pass. His pick-six against the Bears was huge.
'I want to score a lot of touchdowns. I want to see a lot of celebrations,' Harbaugh said
The 2015 first-round pick has 33 career receptions
Sherman reportedly thought about playing for the Cowboys or Patriots
One of the league's best wideouts had just four catches for 28 yards against Green Bay
The Browns selected Kizer in the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft
Talk about a great Christmas present