NFL free agency: Five under-the-radar moves I like
Not all the players can get huge deals in free agency. Here's five lesser signings that I liked.
The talk the first day of NFL free agency each year is always about the mega-deals, and we had a fair share of them Tuesday.
But while the Mike Wallace signing in Miami and the Paul Kruger signing in Cleveland got a lot of the headlines, I always look for lesser deals that I think will work out well for the teams.
And I found a handful. Here's a look at each:
• Philadelphia Eagles signing former St. Louis Rams corner Bradley Fletcher to a two-year deal. Fletcher is a player who has had two knee surgeries, but when he has been healthy he has been a quality man-cover player. Fletcher didn't play as much as he should have last year because he was on a one-year deal and the Rams were in a youth movement. They played rookie Trumaine Johnson at nickel corner, but Fletcher should have been on the field. The Eagles have a major need at corner, so this is a good move. Here's a bet he starts.
• Baltimore Ravens signing of former New York Giants defensive tackle Chris Canty . The Ravens took some hits, but the addition of Canty will give them a nice big body up front. They have some solid players there in Haloti Ngata , Arthur Jones and Pernell McPhee . Canty has played well when he's been on the field the past couple of seasons. He didn't cost much either.
• Kansas City Chiefs signing former New York Jets defensive tackle Mike DeVito to a three-year deal for $12.5 million. DeVito is a try-hard run player who can help the interior of the Chiefs line. He isn't huge, but at 305 he is a fighter on the inside.
• Indianapolis Colts signing of corner former Arizona Cardinals corner Greg Toler . He is a 28-year-old corner who has battled through a knee issue to become a solid player. He is a physical corner who will tackle and can also cover. The Colts had a hole to fill and he will fill it.
• Rams re-signing defensive end William Hayes . They have a young, emerging defensive line and Hayes was a big part of it last season. He can play outside and he can move inside in passing situations. Ask the San Francisco 49ers how good that Rams front was last season.
Brett Hundley was apparently on the block during Day 2 of the draft
The Bills fired their GM Sunday morning, then cleaned house
Get ready to start hearing a lot about Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen
College players who didn't get drafted are now free to sign with any team in the NFL
Benjamin has had weight issues going back to college
As one exec put it, 'We don't know what the hell they were doing'