NFL playoff picture: Examining the early Week 16 ramifications
Here's a look at the impact of 1 p.m. ET games during Week 16 and the playoff race implications involved.
More postseason: Playoff Picture, scenarios
We had a few dramatic endings to the early Week 16 games that will impact the playoff races overall. Dallas' late win over Washington and Carolina's comeback win over New Orleans will help determine playoff spots and seedings.
In the NFC:
- Dallas Cowboys win makes the Philadelphia Eagles at Dallas game for all the marbles in the NFC East.
- Philadelphia vs. Chicago Bears on Sunday night is meaningless in the division for Philadelphia, but could be a factor in No. 3 vs. No. 4 seeding for division champions.
- CAROLINA win over New Orleans gives the Carolina Panthers a one-game lead over the New Orleans Saints and a season split head to head.
- CAROLINA CLINCHED A PLAYOFF BERTH with the win today.
- NEW ORLEANS can still win the division next week with a win and Carolina loss (New Orleans would win on division record)
- NEW ORLEANS can still clinch playoff berth this week with Arizona Cardinals loss OR a Seattle Seahawks tie + San Francisco loss
- ARIZONA will be eliminated if they lose to Seattle due to Carolina's win (Arizona lost to New Orleans head to head).
- SAN FRANCISCO would clinch spot if Arizona loses today or with a win on Monday night.
- NEW ENGLAND CLINCHED THE AFC EAST TITLE with the Miami loss and cannot clinch a bye but still controls their playoff fate for a first-round bye.
- MIAMI loss was a killer. The Miami Dolphins can be eliminated from the playoffs now with a Baltimore win + Oakland win or tie.
- MIAMI can still get playoff berth at 9-7 if they tie with Baltimore Ravens and San Diego Chargers (based on conference record).
- CINCINNATI CLINCHED A PLAYOFF BERTH with win + Miami loss.
- CINCINNATI will clinch the AFC North title with a Baltimore loss or tie Sunday afternoon.
- CINCINNATI can control playoff fate for a first-round bye with a New England loss ( Cincinnati Bengals beat New England and Indianapolis head to head).
- BALTIMORE can stay alive for division title with a win over New England.
- BALTIMORE can clinch a playoff berth with a win + San Diego loss or tie.
- PITTSBURGH amazingly remains alive for a playoff berth as both Miami lost and the New York Jets won. Pittsburgh needs a win + Baltimore loss to remain alive this week.
- INDIANAPOLIS remains alive for a first-round bye with a win today but can no longer win the No. 1 seed due to Denver's win.
- Indianapolis Colts has won the AFC South title and can clinch a first-round bye with a win and one New England loss + Cincinnati loss/tie against Baltimore.
- DENVER CLINCHED THE AFC WEST TITLE and FIRST ROUND BYE with win and Kansas City's loss.
- Denver Broncos clinches the No. 1 seed in the AFC with a New England Patriots loss today (or next week).
- Kansas City Chiefs has already clinched a playoff spot and will be the No. 5 seed in the AFC.
The Notre Dame coach clarifies his earlier comments about his former quarterback
The Cowboys owner says he's better now than ever
Sometimes it's hard to figure out what the Bills are doing
Peterson would join a formidable backfield that includes Mark Ingram and, of course, Drew...
John Schneider has a simple rule: He doesn't like lying to people
Kizer, the former Notre Dame standout, is one of the top QBs in the draft class