Pounceys to file countersuit, lawyer calls original claim 'complete sham'
On Friday, NFL players Mike and Maurkice Pouncey were sued for allegedly beating a man and a woman at a Miami nightclub. By Saturday, the attorney for the twins said a countersuit will be filed.
On Friday, NFL players Mike and Maurkice Pouncey were sued for allegedly using homophobic slurs before beating a man and a woman at a Miami nightclub earlier this month. By Saturday, the attorney for the twin brothers said a countersuit will be filed.
“The allegations in the complaint about my clients are completely false,” attorney Jeffrey M. Ostrow told ProFootballTalk. “As I previously stated, Mike and Maurkice Pouncey had absolutely no involvement whatsoever in the alleged incident that evening and did nothing wrong. This claim is a complete sham. The plaintiffs and their lawyer are perpetuating these lies in a bid for notoriety and financial gain. We intend to defend this case through trial if necessary and will be filing a counterclaim for malicious prosecution and defamation.”
Miami Beach police spokesman Vivian Thayer told the Sun Sentinel that the case remains "open and under investigation."
No criminal charges have been filed against the Pounceys.
The original suit claims that the brothers (Mike plays for the Dolphins and Maurkice plays for the Steelers), their security detail and their entourage attacked Riquan James and Niya Pickett at Cameo Nightclub on July 12.
Days after the alleged attack Ostrow called the accusations "lies."
On Friday, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross was asked about the lawsuit.
"I don't think I know enough facts," Ross said. "It's been reported that he had nothing to do with it. I don't know. I think they're investigating it so I can't really comment on it from that standpoint.
"I like Mike Pouncey and I have a lot of confidence in Mike Pouncey. And what's happened, I can't really comment on that … he's a great ballplayer, we all know that. I think he's a leader, I think he has a lot of potential. He's a young kid and I think he's growing and maturing."
On Saturday, Maurkice Pouncey addressed the issue.
"I'm a man about everything," he said, according to Observer-Reporter's Dale Lolley. "Y'all know that any time I've made a mistake, I admit to it. For something like this to happen when I had no involvement, it's upsetting. It hurts me. It's on my mind like crazy. Hopefully, it blows over. Our lawyer put out a statement."
Pouncey continued: "The only thing that sucks about it is that I tried to keep a clean nose throughout the process this year. Having to deal with this, sucks, it truly does. Even for the birthday party (at the nightclub), we hired our own retired police officer to go out with us. For something like to this to happen is truly unbelievable. I just want to take the time to apologize to the the fans who take this the wrong way. You guys all know me and know the person I am. For people to say bad things about me, that sucks. But sometimes you've got to deal with bad things in life and move on."
Our Latest Stories
The 39-year-old quarterback doesn't plan on retiring anytime soon
Lamp’s performance continues the momentum he's created for himself throughout his senior s...
Not everyone was on board with the Raiders' move
'I want to make it as terrible and horrible for Mark Davis as possible,' says one former Raiders...
This what the Raiders' new stadium might look like
Not everyone was happy about the move to Sin City