Prisco Mock No. 2: A change up top
Geno Smith is no longer the top pick in my mock draft.
Doing mock drafts before free agency is tough to do. We have no idea what holes will be filled and what holes will be made during free agency.
That makes doing this mock feel like you are riding a bike to nowhere. But at least it's exercising -- and this is an exercise in madness.
|More on the NFL draft|
Records set left and right in 40 times
|More NFL coverage|
With the talk that the Chiefs are looking to a veteran passer, I changed my pick at the top from West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith to Texas A&M tackle Luke Joeckel. That led to Smith falling to the Arizona Cardinals in the seventh spot.
It could also lead to a team trading up to the second spot to get Smith, if they like him.
Check back after free agency starts. I think there will be changes in this mock. Until then, this is it:
1. Kansas City Chiefs -- Luke Joeckel, T, Texas A&M -- It appears they are going with Joeckel and a veteran rather than drafting Geno Smith and keeping Branden Albert .
2. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU -- He has the speed they need off the edge and fits with what they want to do.
3. Oakland Raiders -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida -- He is big and fast and they can lose a lot inside this offseason.
4. Philadelphia Eagles -- Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon -- Chip Kelly looks to his old school to get a pass rusher.
5. Detroit Lions -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama -- He fills a need for a team that has struggled at corner for a long time.
6. Cleveland Browns -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia -- It all depends on the medical for Jones, who is an explosive edge rusher and would fill a need.
7. Arizona Cardinals -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia -- They would be thrilled if he fell this far.
8. Buffalo Bills -- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee -- This is a big-play league, and they lack anything other than Stevie Johnson on the outside.
9. New York Jets -- Ezekiel Ansah, OLB, BYU -- They can stand him up and finally have a dominant edge rusher.
10. Tennessee Titans -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah -- It's all about the medical for him. How does his heart test out?
11. San Diego Chargers -- Eric Fisher, T, Central Michigan -- He is moving up on a lot of boards and would fill a major need for the Chargers.
12. Miami Dolphins -- Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia -- This little guy can fly and Miami lacks that in its offense.
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State -- He might be the most gifted of all the corners in this draft.
14. Carolina Panthers -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri -- They have to get better in the middle of their defense.
15. New Orleans Saints -- Damontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M -- He can play 3-4 or 4-3 and with the Saints transitioning, he makes sense.
16. St. Louis Rams -- Lane Johnson, T, Oklahoma -- They could take him and play him at left tackle and move Rodger Saffold to the right side. Johnson had a great combine.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Keenan Allen, WR, California -- With Mike Wallace leaving, Allen would fill that hole.
18. Dallas Cowboys -- Chance Warmack, G, Alabama -- Would they be thrilled if this happened or what?
19. New York Giants -- Menelik Watson, T, Florida State -- Their line needs upgrading at the right tackle spot and left tackle William Beatty is a free agent.
20. Chicago Bears -- Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame -- He showed at the combine why he can be a 75-catch player.
21. Cincinnati Bengals -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas -- Range and speed is what Vaccaro can bring to the defense.
22. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins) -- Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina -- If they go line 1-2, can you imagine how happy Sam Bradford would be?
23. Minnesota Vikings -- Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State -- Jared Allen isn't a kid anymore. And you can never have enough pass rushers.
24. Indianapolis Colts -- D.J. Fluker, T, Alabama -- They have to protect Andrew Luck better. Fluker is a big, strong right tackle.
25. Seattle Seahawks -- Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State -- Alan Branch is a free agent and they need big bodies in the middle of their defense.
26. Green Bay Packers -- Travis Frederick, C, Wisconsin -- They need help in the middle of their line. This kid will be a good one.
27. Houston Texans -- Robert Woods, WR, USC -- They have to get somebody to help Andre Johnson in their passing game.
28. Denver Broncos -- Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina -- They need more power players inside, and this kid is solid and did some good things at the combine.
29. New England Patriots -- Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee -- They have to get better on the outside and Hunter can do that.
30. Atlanta Falcons -- Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford -- They might get Tony Gonzalez back, but they need his replacement just in case.
31. San Francisco 49ers -- Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State -- Let's face it, the 49ers corners didn't have a great postseason.
32. Baltimore Ravens -- Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU -- The Ravens need a replacement for Ray Lewis , and Dannell Ellerbe is a free agent.
'I want to score a lot of touchdowns. I want to see a lot of celebrations,' Harbaugh said
The 2015 first-round pick has 33 career receptions
Sherman reportedly thought about playing for the Cowboys or Patriots
One of the league's best wideouts had just four catches for 28 yards against Green Bay
The Browns selected Kizer in the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft
Talk about a great Christmas present