Report: Dolphins, Brian Hartline agree to five-year, $30M contract
According to multiple reports, Brian Hartline has signed a five-year deal with the Dolphins worth $30.775 million.
Before the Dolphins can (potentially) dive into the wideout free agent market and chase Mike Wallace with some serious cash, they probably want to take care of one of their own and lock down 2012 breakout wide receiver Brian Hartline. They've reportedly done just that late on Thursday night.
According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, the Dolphins and Hartline have agreed to terms.
Hartline, according to Jeff Darlington of NFL.com, left the Dolphins facility after signing the contract.
"It feels great to know perseverance has paid off," Hartline told Darlington. "Now, it's about winning games. I feel like we're on right path. We're close."
The numbers are impressive (for Hartline), as Florio reports the receiver got a five-year deal worth $30.775 million, with $12.5 million guaranteed.
To put that into perspective, Hartline now has more than double the number of guaranteed millions of dollars (12.5) in his contract than he does career receiving touchdowns (6) and four times the number of millions as he does career hundred-yard games (3).
Please don't interpret this as an attempt to rip Hartline, who is a very talented possession receiver, and a player I like very much. But go back and look at his season in 2012; he had one monster game (a mammoth 253-yard game in Week 4 against the Cardinals) that accounted for 23.3 percent of his total yardage on the season.
And the money isn't crazy either; there are similar contracts out there for No. 2 wideouts. Locking down Hartline now could look like a steal if he continues to develop.
But much of the assessment of Hartline's deal is predicated on the fact that he'll be Miami's No. 2 and they'll simply go out and land a No. 1 wideout -- likely either Wallace or Greg Jennings -- on the free-agent market.
Good on Hartline for getting paid and good on the Dolphins for spending some of their cap space. With the free agents they've got departing, they certainly need to lock up some talent if they want to repeat their seven-win overachievement from 2012.
For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, subscribe to our RSS Feed watch Pro Football 360 daily at 3 p.m. ET and NFL newsletter. You can follow Will Brinson on Twitter here: @willbrinson.
Brad Kaaya looked smooth in passing drills in front of all 32 teams at Miami's pro day
That would result in the second-most touches in a single NFL season
The free agent notched two picks for the Rams last year, but his offseason isn't going wel...
So then, let's compare Bennett to Rob Gronkowski
The NFL approved the Raiders' move to Las Vegas on Monday
'I don't see anything happening at all,' Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Wednesday