Report: Dolphins expected to cut ties with Richie Incognito
Richie Incognito remains a member of the Dolphins but it's only a matter of time before he's sent packing, according a report.
"He's done," a ranking club source told the Herald Monday. "There are procedures in place and everyone wants to be fair. The NFL is involved. But from a club perspective he'll never play another game here."
It's hardly a surprising development after Incognito was suspended indefinitely by the Dolphins late Sunday in the wake of second-year player Jonathan Martin leaving the team amid reports that he had been bullied and Incognito was identified as the ringleader.
In texts and voicemails Martin made available to the Dolphins and the NFL, Incognito used racial slurs when referring to Martin, CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported Monday. Additionally, There are several instances of threats, and one exchange in which Incognito refers to defecating in Martin's mouth. Incognito also made reference to tracking down members of Martin's family and harming them.
According to ESPN.com, one of the allegations being reviewed in the Martin case is that, last summer, Incognito got Martin to contribue $15,000 to help finance a trip to Las Vegas by several Dolphins players -- even though Martin opted not to travel with the group. Instead, Martin allegedly gave Incognito the $15,000 because he feared the consquences of what might happen if he didn't.
The Herald reports that Incognito is expected to defend himself "in a robust manner," and adds that "the Dolphins will wait for Incognito's defense and the full NFL review to play out before formally cutting ties with the player."
Our Latest Stories
The Texans' sackmaster appeared to have recovered from offseason surgery and didn't miss a...
Long snapper Kameron Canaday is a free agent after his latest mistake
The Patriots have one more game to endure without Tom Brady
Donald Trump told Colin Kaepernick to leave the country a month ago
The Browns also can't wait on DeShone Kizer, taking the Notre Dame QB at No. 1
Bell will play in his first game after serving his three-game suspension