Report: Incognito expected to file grievance against Dolphins

Richie Incognito could look to recoup his lost wages. (USATSI)

On Sunday, hours before Richie Incogntio was suspended indefinitely by the Dolphins for his role in bullying teammate Jonathan Martin, the left guard blasted the media for slandering his name. By Tuesday, Incognito was less talkative, only saying that he was "trying to weather the storm."

Now, according to FOXSports.com's Alex Marvez, Incognito, who doesn't collect a paycheck while suspended, is expected to file a grievance against the Dolphins for losing his $235,294.12 weekly salary.

Martin, who left the team last week and is in California undergoing counseling, has yet to speak publicly about what happened. And Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said Monday that the organization wouldn't comment while the NFL investigated the matter. Reportedly, that message extended to Dolphins players, several of whom spoke out anyway Wednesday to defend themselves.

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said in a statement Thursday that "I continue to be in touch with players in Miami, their representatives and player leadership, and I look forward to information that defines the full scope of the NFL's investigation. Every NFL player should expect safe and professional working conditions. The NFLPA has taken steps to ensure that every one of our affected members is represented. It is our duty as a union to learn the full facts, protect the interests of players involved and hold management accountable to the highest standards of fairness and transparency."

Meanwhile, the league has appointed high-powered attorney Ted Wells to lead the investigation.

CBS Sports Writer

Ryan Wilson has been an NFL writer for CBS Sports since June 2011, and he's covered five Super Bowls in that time. Ryan previously worked at AOL's FanHouse from start to finish, and Football Outsiders... Full Bio

Show Comments Hide Comments
CBS Sports Store
NFL Training Camp Gear
Our Latest Stories