Saints GM Mickey Loomis vehemently denies eavesdropping allegations
Saints general manager Mickey Loomis held a news conference Thursday afternoon to vehemently deny the eavesdropping allegations leveled in an ESPN report earlier this week.
|Loomis denies the eavesdropping report. (Getty Images)|
"In my 28 or 29 years in the NFL, I have never listened to an opposing team's communication. I have never asked for the capability to listen to an opposing team's communications," he said via CBSSports.com's Larry Holder. "I have never inquired as the the possibility of listening in on an opposing team's communications. And I never been aware of any capability to listen in on an opposing team's communications at the Superdome or at any NFL stadium."
Loomis delivered a similar message on Monday, hours after the original report came out.
"This report on ESPN is absolutely false," he said at the time. "I have a monitor in front of me in my booth that provides the league issued stats for the game. I have a small TV with the network broadcast and I have an earpiece to listen to the WWL-AM radio (flagship broadcaster) game broadcast.
"To think I am sitting in there listening and actually and or doing something with the offensive and defensive play calls of the opposing teams makes this story and the unnamed sources that provided the false information that much more less credible…it just didn't happen."
During Thursday's news conference, Loomis admitted that he wasn't sure how to clear his name. "I'm angry about it, frankly," he said. "I'm angry about it. It's not true. I have a clear conscience. That's all I can say. And look, the people that know me and know me the best have all come to my defense. They've stated to me that's not true. And maybe that has to be good enough.”
He also welcomed an investigation into the eavesdropping charges, although he wasn't interested in talking about the Saints bounty scandal that led NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to suspend Loomis for eight games, head coach Sean Payton for a year, former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams indefinitely, and assistant coach Joe Vitt for six games. The organization was also fined $500,000 and lost their 2012 and 2013 second-round picks.
Because of a draft-day trade with the Patriots last April, the Saints also don't have a first-round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft which kicks off Thursday night.
For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, and subscribe to our Pick-6 Podcast and NFL newsletter. You can follow Ryan Wilson on Twitter here: @ryanwilson_07.
Don't blame Norman -- he's 10 inches shorter than the Knicks' Kyle O’Quinn
The Cowboys owner offers an interesting take on what's bringing future fans to the game
The Seahawks cornerback told a student last year that he'd pay for a scholarship if she raised...
Romo is set to call games for CBS Sports this fall, but the Cowboys are keeping the door o...
Can Roberto Aguayo, the Bucs' maligned second-round pick, beat out Nick Folk?
John Mara says Colin Kaepernick's protest led to a ton of letters from emotional fans