Training Camp Roundup: Fans blame Clayborn for Tom Brady injury
Wednesday's Training Camp Roundup where fans blame Adrian Clayborn for Tom Brady's injury, we take a look at OTHER injuries and give you the latest news from around the NFL.
We don't even know if the left leg/knee injury that Tom Brady suffered on Wednesday at New England Patriots practice is serious yet, but we do know what happened thanks to video that surfaced from a fan at practice. Pats tackle Nate Solder was pushed back towards Brady and in the ensuing pile Brady was knocked over and fell to the ground clutching his left knee.
Turns out it was Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Adrian Clayborn who pushed Solder into Brady, as Clayborn admitted as much following practice.
“I bull rushed the tackle and apparently he tripped on Brady and fell on him,” Clayborn said. "You always have to stay away from the quarterback, but if you get a guy on his heels, my instinct is to keep going. And that’s what I did."
And this shouldn't be surprising, but fans are already blaming Clayborn and making things rather personal on Twitter.
A small, fairly-not-obscene sampling:
@AJaClay You better hope your ass didn't cause Brady to tear his ACL... Karma is a bitch!— βrad Jonhςο∩ (@SupraNSkyline) August 14, 2013
@AJaClay you in trouble now brooo!!! Messin with the G.O.A.T...— Matthew Poole (@jordan23treyz) August 14, 2013
If you hurt Brady I'm coming for you @AJaClay— Aldo (@ALDO_GUAPSKE) August 14, 2013
The lessons, as always? 1) If you go after an athlete for something like this (or missing a big shot or just doing their job) you're kind of creepy, and 2) Nate Solder is probably glad he's not on Twitter.
- So yeah. The obvious big news is Brady. Keep it here for all the latest updates.
- The Oakland Raiders probably weren't going to win many games this year but they took a huge hit on Wednesday with an injury to left tackle Jared Veldheer . Veldheer suffered a torn triceps and will have surgery. I'd bet the under on the Raiders at 3.5 wins for the whole season at this point.
- Randall Cobb will probably end up being fine, but his injury concerns me. Mike McCarthy says he had swelling on Tuesday and will be a "stretch" to play Saturday.
- A.J. Green returned to practice and says he's 100 percent. That's great news.
- Cliff Avril and Bruce Irvin are getting back to practice for the Seattle Seahawks . Pass rush is a sneaky concern with injuries and suspensions in Seattle.
Shameless Podcast Plug
DID YOU KNOW? We have an Eye on Football podcast. Ryan Wilson and yours truly fire it out a few times a week and it's amazing. Truly. You can listen to it below or you can subscribe here at iTunes. While you're there feel free to give us the old five star rating.
Jumpin' Jim Irsay's Rant O' The Day
I love Jim Irsay so much, even if I have no freaking clue what's going on right here.
U pay a lump sum n reality for 10 Season Tics ..your Bronco tics r 400% under-prized,ur pre-season tics over-priced,it balances out in end— Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) August 14, 2013
That's the reason Season tic prices shouldn't even have a tic price on individual tics..The 10 home game tics have varying value— Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) August 14, 2013
N the end it's fair/U R NOT paying full price for pre-Season games..no more you' re not paying full,but under-prized 4 Texan/ Denver Broncos ,etc— Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) August 14, 2013
Yea Joseph(The bored guy)...that kind of change might clarify a reality that already exists..n it's not only Broncos.. Pittsburgh Steelers ,Patriots,etc.— Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) August 14, 2013
2013 HORSESHOE CLASSIC on 8/23 at Lucas Oil Stadium features high schools BEN DAVIS vs. CATHEDRAL, and TERRE HAUTE N. vs. CASTLE— Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) August 14, 2013
Two Hands Optional
If you read my NFL Stock Watch from the first week of the preseason, then you know I'm particularly high on Carolina Panthers cornerback (I'm not the only one, just wanted you to know) and he's making me feel good about my prediction he could pop in 2013. Dude had two picks in the Panthers first preseason game and check out this sick ONE-HANDED INTERCEPTION Norman made during Carolina's final preseason practice.
'Tis the season for good football analysis. I'll try and put some of the best things I read here. If you find anything worth reading or want something considered for inclusion, hit me up on Twitter @WillBrinson.
- Cian Fahey of Bleacher/Report breaks down the Larry Fitzgerald - Carson Palmer connection. It's worth it just for this sad graphic showing where Arizona Cardinals quarterbacks threw balls at Fitz last year.
- Late, great Raiders owner Al Davis wasn't just unpopular in his old age. Deadspin takes us into the stacks to note that he was also hated back in the day.
- Speaking of the Raiders ... Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com and NFL Network asked five current executives if South Carolina freakshow Jadeveon Clowney is the best defensive prospect they've seen in the last 10 years. (Hint: YES.)
A golf cart almost hit Matt Schaub during practice. "It's a good thing I've got such nimble feet. That's the youthfulness coach talks about"— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) August 14, 2013
Tim my son, for your birthday I got you the Patriots QB job. Sorry Tom, somebody had to be the Lamb.— NFL Jesus (@NFLJesus) August 14, 2013
Dwayne Bowe had line of camp. Re lack of big passing plays: "When the real season starts, that’s when you’ll see Bombs Over Baghdad.''— Adam Teicher (@adamteicher) August 14, 2013
Our Latest Stories
The bye week looks like it's going pretty well for Carson Wentz, but not so well for this...
The Redskins corner is probably going to want to get out his checkbook
The Stanford star could stay in the Bay Area and would add another dimension to the Oakland...
There's an ugly downside to joining Colin Kaepernick's cause
With Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett dealing with injuries, the Pats' QB situation has...
Everything you need to know for Cowboys at 49ers on Sunday