Week 1 NFL injury news: Blaine Gabbert starting for Jags
Here are some of the notable injuries from Week 1.
Here are some of the notable injuries entering Week 1 and what it all might mean. For the full inactives list, click here.
- Atlanta Falcons receiver Roddy White and his high ankle sprain are active. There’s no telling at this point, though, how much he’ll play or how effective he will be.
- Atlanta cornerback Asante Samuel is out, meanwhile, and that means the Saints passing game could really be dangerous.
- There was some question about whether Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert was healthy enough to start. Officially, he is.
- With Tampa Bay Buccaneers guard Carl Nicks still battling the MRSA virus, he’s out for this week. Gabe Carimi will replace him at left guard.
- Though Detroit Lions defensive tackle Kevin Williams is out with a knee injury, first-round pick Sharrif Floyd will not get the start. That goes to Letroy Guion.
- As good as the Seattle Seahawks could be on defense, they’ll be missing two key components: defensive end Cliff Avril and cornerback Brandon Browner are out.
- New York Jets receiver Santonio Holmes , probably the most-explosive player on an offense that will struggle with its lack of talent, gets the start. He had been out for most of the preseason with a foot injury, and there had been reports that Holmes perhaps had been milking the injury because he’s a free agent after this season.
- The Lions apparently feel pretty good about Reggie Bush and Joique Bell at running back. Mikel Leshoure is a healthy inactive. Also for the Lions, receiver Ryan Broyles is out.
- After a fun little journey on Hard Knocks, Cincinnati Bengals rookie defensive end Margus Hunt is inactive.
Follow Josh Katzowitz on Google+
Colleen Smith joins Jen Welter and Kathryn Smith as women who have held NFL coaching posit...
It involves plain whole wheat pasta every night
Don't worry Giants fans, Beckham is still working out
Michael Bennett also joined Sherman in denouncing the story
Kuechly has missed nine games due to concussions the past two years
According to a report, Kaepernick wants to join the team as Russell Wilson's backup