Week 6 Rundown: Falcons take over top spot, Texans, Niners drop
After the Packers drub the Texans, Pat Kirwan drops Houston out of the top spot this week. The unbeaten Falcons take over No. 1.
4. Houston Texans : The first game without defensive captain Brian Cushing was an eye opener. Next week tells the true tale of the 2012 Texans.
5. San Francisco 49ers : Last week I debated about the Niners as the top team in the league, and now they have two games Vikings and Giants) that raise questions.
6. New England Patriots : A very tough loss to the Seahawks, but their whole body of work suggests they are still an elite team. They do get a warning notice for three loses; another one and they slide.
7. Green Bay Packers : The 42 points on the Texans defense was a statement. The Packers looked like the team that went 15-1 last year and just like the Patriots, they better not slide back.
8. Chicago Bears : A week off, and on a three-game winning streak. They could run off three wins coming off the bye with games against Detroit, Tennessee, and Carolina. Next week could be a big jump into the top four.
9. Seattle Seahawks : This is a dangerous team with a nasty defense and a smooth rookie QB. Big, big game Thursday night against the 49ers.
10. Denver Broncos : It is starting to come together on both sides of the ball. Once the Broncos figure out how to score in the first half they will be unbeatable.
11. Los Angeles Chargers : Rivers is up 24-0 this week and throws four picks. That should not happen again this season. This team can beat most teams in the NFL but they also know how to beat themselves.
12. Washington Redskins : They may be a little high in the standings but Robert Griffin III keeps sending out the message he can win in this league now. The defense is starting to adjust to the loss of Brian Orakpo and Adam Carriker. The Skins sit in a fragile spot and could tumble with the Giants and Steelers on the schedule the next two weeks.
13. Minnesota Vikings : A solid team with four wins but a 1-2 road record. I still think they get to a winning record for the year.
14. Arizona Cardinals : Four wins keeps them in the top half of the league but their protection issues aren't going away anytime soon. Both quarterbacks better be ready to play at all times.
15. Philadelphia Eagles : The Eagles are one of the biggest turnover machines in the NFL. Their 17 giveaways is second only to Kansas City, and the Chiefs sit in the No. 31 spot.
16. Miami Dolphins : Ryan Tannehill is more than Dolphins fans hoped for in the draft and the defense is doing a very good job. The run game was disappointing this past week but they are becoming a tough out. They are on a two-game winning streak and lost two games in overtime.
17. Detroit Lions : The Lions got a much-needed overtime win this week to at least slow down the bleeding. All indications are in place for this team to go on a run, but their next two games are Chicago and Seattle.
18. New Orleans Saints : No one ever thought they couldn't score points but finally last week the defense woke up and got five sacks. Drew Brees still believes his team can turn it around.
19. Pittsburgh Steelers : The defense has given up 100 yards rushing a game over the past 22 games. The signs were in place that things are different for the Steel Curtain defense. They have too much pride and talent on offense to go down without a fight.
20. Cincinnati Bengals : All of a sudden a team that never loses to non- playoff teams has dropped two in a row. They have the talent to stay in the playoff race but it starts with the Steelers this week. In two years the Bengals haven't beaten a playoff team.
21. Los Angeles Rams : Jeff Fisher is making significant progress with this team but the loss of Danny Amendola is a big adjustment.
22. Dallas Cowboys : It must be hard to be a passionate Cowboys fan. What do you see when you watch your team? Do you see talent or do you see hype?
23. New York Jets : Leave Sanchez on the field and stop the Tebow experiment.
24. Tampa Bay Buccaneers : The past two games reminded me of the 2010 version of Josh Freeman . He threw for 627 yards in those games and is looking better.
25. Indianapolis Colts : Andrew Luck is going to win his fair share of games as a rookie, but this whole team is a work in progress.
26. Buffalo Bills : The Bills pass rush came alive last week but it was against the Cardinals offensive line that gave up 17 sacks in the two previous games. The Bills are coming off a two-week road trip with a home game against the Titans.
27. Carolina Panthers : Don't panic about Cam Newton in a sophomore slump. Give some credit to opposing defenses, but also realize Newton has the talent to get back on course. The defense needs to improve or the three-game losing streak the team is on will grow.
28. Tennessee Titans : The Titans said as soon as JakeLocker is healthy he gets the starting job back. That's a hard decision considering Matt Hasselbeck just led the team to a win over the Steelers. It looks like the growing pains continue.
29. Cleveland Browns : Finally a win this week after so many close games. This young football team has a lot of fight in them. Browns fans should love the view of the future.
30. Oakland Raiders : At times this team reminds me of the Cowboys. Flashes of talent, but too much frustration when they are struggling.
31. Kansas City Chiefs : Twenty-one giveaways by the offense in six games is the worst in the NFL. Maybe there are some fans that dislike Matt Cassel that can't wait to see him back on the field.
32. Jacksonville Jaguars :They had a bye this week but they are 0-3 at home and have scored just 65 points in five games.
Roger Goodell typically announces all the first-round picks, but he'll make an exception this...
NFL teams find out their schedule on the same day you do
There probably weren't too many complaints in Kansas City after the schedule was released
Glen Coffee is hoping to make an improbable NFL comeback
Geography can be hard sometimes
Hernandez appears to have left suicide notes for at least three different people