Why can't I believe the idea that the Houston Texans will pass on a quarterback?
I just don't buy it no matter how good many of us think South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney will be on the next level.
That's why I will keep Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles going in the No. 1 spot in next month's draft, despite the growing sentiment that the Texans might be leaning toward Clowney with the top pick. This is mock draft No. 9 for me, with three more to go. Will I change my mind down the road? Maybe. But the quarterback spot is way too valuable, and the Texans don't have one.
I also have three quarterbacks still going in the top 10, even though that is unlikely. That's the premium of the position. I don't buy the falling talk for all these guys. Quarterbacks are overdrafted, not underdrafted.
1. Houston Texans -- Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida: Yes, I am stubborn to keep him here.
2. St. Louis Rams -- Greg Robinson, T, Auburn: He could play right tackle or even guard for a year.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: He might go first, but if he doesn't the Jaguars would be dumb to pass him up.
4. Cleveland Browns -- Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: They would pair him with Josh Gordon for a dynamic 12 punch.
5. Oakland Raiders -- Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M: They have to get a big-play receiver who can threaten down the field.
6. Atlanta Falcons -- Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo: He would give the new-look defense that bigtime pass rusher.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: People talk about the Jaguars needing to sell tickets. What about Tampa Bay?
8. Minnesota Vikings -- Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville: He fits with what Norv Turner wants to do on offense.
9. Buffalo Bills -- Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina: Their offense lacks that elite tight end to help take the pressure off outside. Ebron could do that.
10. Detroit Lions -- Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State: They have to get better outside with their pass coverage.
11. Tennessee Titans -- Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA: I still think they need to find an edge rusher, even if some say his stock is falling.
12. New York Giants -- Jake Matthews, T, Texas A&M: You can never have enough good linemen as the Giants saw last season.
13. St. Louis Rams -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama: Range, range and more range. They have to get better on the back end.
14. Chicago Bears -- Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh: I will keep him in this spot. It just fits.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State: He is athletic and can step in when Ike Taylor is done and play some nickel right away.
16. Dallas Cowboys -- Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State: He would be a perfect fit in their defense. And they have a big hole inside on that line.
17. Baltimore Ravens -- Taylor Lewan, T, Michigan: They have problems on the right side. He would fix that.
18. New York Jets -- Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State: They have to get some playmakers outside.
19. Miami Dolphins -- C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama: I will keep him here. They have to get more athletic at linebacker.
21. Green Bay Packers -- Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State: Where is the speed on that defense? Shazier has it.
22. Philadelphia Eagles -- Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU: With Desean Jackson gone, they have to get speed outside.
24. Cincinnati Bengals -- Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech: They need a young player outside with age creeping into the position.
25. San Diego Chargers -- Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame: They need to get a power player in the middle of their defense.
27. New Orleans Saints -- Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn: They have to get help for that pass rush.
28. Carolina Panthers -- Morgan Moses, T, Virginia: He can play left tackle as a rookie, which they badly need.
29. New England Patriots -- Ra'Shede Hageman, DT/DE, Minnesota: He has been compared to Richard Seymour, who they drafted in 2001.
30. San Francisco 49ers -- Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska: They have some concerns on the corner, and this kid is a big, physical player.
31. Denver Broncos -- Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU: They have to get more athletic at linebacker. He could help.
32. Seattle Seahawks -- Marqise Lee, WR, USC: Pete Carroll knows those USC kids and Lee would be a big help to the offense.