Often when doing a mock draft, I find myself putting players in spots where I think they should go, rather than where they will go. Then, I wise up.
That's not the case with this mock. This is my annual who-they-should take mock draft. Unlike the others, where I try to predict the picks, this is a mock made up of players I think the teams should take.
At the top, I have the Atlanta Falcons trading up to get Jadeveon Clowney. Why? I think they should give up a second-round pick to go get an elite pass rusher, something they've craved for a long time.
As for Houston, they can trade down, get some picks, and still perhaps get a quarterback -- like they do here by taking Johnny Manziel.
The funny thing about this mock is that there are a lot of picks that are the same as the ones in my real mock.
Is that a good sign or a bad one? Time will tell.
Who teams should take
1. Atlanta Falcons (From Houston Texans) -- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: They are not that far off -- despite what you might think -- and getting a pass rusher of this caliber would be a bold move. They need to make this move.
2. St. Louis Rams -- Greg Robinson, T, Auburn: He is a safe pick who would be their left tackle down the road after a year at guard.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida: He is the best pure quarterback prospect in this draft in my mind. Why not take him then if you need one like the Jaguars do?
5. Oakland Raiders -- Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo: They have to get pass rushers for their defense, and he has that great speed off the edge. This would be great value.
6. Houston Texans (From Atlanta Falcons) -- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: They could move back and still get the player they might have taken at the top. That would be a smart move.
8. Minnesota Vikings -- Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh: You can never have enough good defensive players and this kid would be too good to pass up to take a quarterback.
9. Buffalo Bills -- Jake Matthews, T, Texas A&M: This would be great value if he fell this far. Matthews might be more NFL ready than Robinson.
10. Detroit Lions -- Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech: He's the top-rated corner on my list and would fill a huge need.
11. Tennessee Titans -- Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA: They have to get an edge rusher for that defense. Barr would fit in perfectly.
13. St. Louis Rams -- Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State: They need to get another corner to go with their young duo. With Fuller gone, I will give them Roby.
14. Chicago Bears -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama: It just makes too much sense for them with such a big need. He has the range you want.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State: With my top two corners gone, I give them Gilbert, who some have ranked as the top guy.
16. Dallas Cowboys -- Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State: With Donald and Barr gone, I think they should take Lawrence to help that pass rush.
18. New York Jets -- Marqise Lee, WR, USC: I think this kid should be rated higher than he's been graded by most. The Jets need a playmaker.
19. Miami Dolphins -- Taylor Lewan, T, Michigan: This would be a big fall for him, but he would fill a huge need.
20. Arizona Cardinals -- Zack Martin, G-T, Notre Dame: This is a team that needs more line help. So why not take a versatile player like Martin?
21. Green Bay Packers -- Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State: Their linebackers play slow. Shazier doesn't.
24. Cincinnati Bengals -- Jason Verrett, CB, TCU: He might be the best cover corner of the group and could help in the nickel right away.
25. San Diego Chargers -- Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame: This would be a steal for them if he's still there. He will be better in the NFL than he was a year ago at Notre Dame.
26. Cleveland Browns -- Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State: They pass on a quarterback again here and take a corner to help upgrade that spot.
28. Carolina Panthers -- Morgan Moses, T, Virginia: I think he can step in and play right away at left tackle and they have a big hole there.
29. New England Patriots -- Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville: They need a big banger on the back end. He can do that, and he is solid in coverage.
32. Seattle Seahawks -- Joel Bitonio, T-G, Nevada: They love tough guys, and he is that. He could push for time at right tackle.