Shane Doan continues to wait in making a decision at where he will be playing next, waiting to gather all of the information that he possibly can before concluding what is right for he and his family.
The biggest sticking point is obviously the ongoing situation in Phoenix with the Coyotes and what will happen to the franchise. He wanted to remain a Coyote, once again reiterating that on Thursday while taking part in the CBA negotiations in New York City.
"I've made no bones about the fact that I want to go back to Phoenix if the situation works out," Doan said. "I understand at some point I'll have to probably make a decision without knowing all the information, but until I get as much information as I can, I'm going to try to wait."
Doan went on to admit that there is an immediacy to it all a little though, too. In addition to testing the patience of general managers out there, he has family concerns to consider. With children who have spent their whole lives in Phoenix and in school now he would like to make a decision so that if his family is moving elsewhere there is enough time to settle in and resume their lives.
When all is said and done I still think Doan will return to Phoenix but it's certainly a real possibility he won't. The way he talked about having to settle in somewhere definitely perked up my ears.
I've seen plenty of comments asking why Doan wouldn't just sign a one-year deal and stay in Phoenix to give more time to see how this plays out? Well he's looking for one last good deal here and wants it to be a multi-year situation. There is no guarantee that if he stayed in Phoenix next year on a one-year contract and then decided to move to another team that his value would be what it is right now.
At this point it could stretch into August but Doan knows at some point he has to go or get off the pot and that shouldn't be THAT much longer.