Chicago Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa was on the receiving end of one of the most brutal hits of the 2011-12 NHL season when he was knocked out by Raffi Torres in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs.
He suffered a concussion as a result of the hit and didn't play again during the playoffs.
Speaking with Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago on Friday, Hossa said that even though he hasn't had to take any contact at this point he thinks he will be ready when the team reports to training camp (whenever that may be due to the still unsettled CBA).
“It could be different on the ice when I get my first hit but so far, without contact, I'm doing everything at a high level," said Hossa. “I don't have any problems so far.”
“The way I feel right now I believe I'll be ready for camp."
Torres was initially suspended 25 games by the NHL for his hit, a punishment was designed to make sure he never played another game during the postseason for the Coyotes. He ended up serving 13 games as the Coyotes went to the Western Conference Final where they lost to the Los Angeles Kings in five games.
Torres appealed the suspension and earlier this summer the league reduced it from 25 games down to 21 games. He won't play in Phoenix's first eight games of the regular season, while he's also not eligible to play in any preseason games.
The Coyotes make their trip to Chicago in game No. 7 of the regular season.
The 33-year-old Hossa is coming off yet another strong season for the Blackhawks having scored 29 goals to go with 48 assists in 81 games, averaging nearly a point-per-game.