Not long after Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz penned a letter to the city regarding their ongoing battle for a new downtown arena, Edmonton city council unanimously voted to cease negotiations with the ownership group on the project.
“Enough is enough,” said Councilman Dave Loken via the Edmonton Journal on Wednesday. “We're going nowhere with these negotiations.”
It's been a brutal process throughout and even included Katz and other high-ranking Oilers officials taking a tour of Seattle's Key Arena last month, a move that was viewed as a negotiating tactic and resulted in him eventually apologizing to the city.
But things don't seem to be getting any better, and this is just the latest example. Whether this is a sign that the deal is officially dead or is simply a negotiating tactic by the city to send a message to the Oilers remains to be seen.
The Journal reports that if negotiations with the Katz group fail and don't resume, the city could look into building a new arena itself and would then be able to charge the Oilers rent (or, presumably another NHL team if the Oilers would happen to skip town.)
One of the issues the city council has is the ownership group is asking for a $6 million a year operating subsidy.
“I don't believe we are much further ahead today than we were four years ago except for a greater ask of money," said mayor Stephen Mandel via the Journal.