The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call with news and notes for the day's hockey action.
• Above is the entire shootout from Monday night's 3-2 Kings win over the Canucks. The only goal was scored by Jeff Carter, an awfully nice backhand roof shot, but pay special attention to Alex Burrows' attempt for the Canucks. I guess technically the puck never stopped moving forward but what the heck?
• The win had to be especially great for Kings defenseman Drew Doughty, who expressed his dislike (OK, hatred) for the Canucks before the game and why he feels that way.
"Not only is it their personnel that you learn to dislike," Doughty explained. "It's the fact that they keep winning the conference every year. You're going to hate any good team just because they have that cockiness. But, they have a swagger about them that we don't like, and we want to show them that we can be the better team. That's why I think tonight is going to be a big battle." (Mayor's Manor)
• While some teams are sending their rookies back to their junior teams, the Senators called up one on Monday -- former first-round draft pick Mika Zibanejad. Taken sixth overall in the 2011 draft, Zibanejad has already made his NHL debut, getting the nine-game tryout last season in Ottawa, but his contract didn't kick in.
The question, though, is will the Senators put Zibanejad in the lineup? It would seem like an obvious yes considering they called him up, but maybe not. (Senators Extra)
• The Red Wings and owner Mike Illitch continue to try to secure a new downtown Detroit arena for the team to replace the old Joe Louis Arena and, as is usually the case, figuring out the funding is the hard part. To that end, Illitch is thinking that maybe a new arena should be state-owned. (MLive.com)
• Bruins tough guy Shawn Thornton is a big boxing fan. He's such a big fan he paid the state of Massachusetts to let him sit ringside and be the spit bucket guy for Boston's Danny "Bhoy" O'Connor. The only problem was Thornton was kicked from ringside in the second round for too many men in the corner.
"So I was the one to go, but they still took my $50. I'm [expletive] rattled. Maybe I can get a refund from Massachusetts Governor Deval [Patrick]?"
It's probably not best to upset Shawn Thornton. Just sayin'. (CSNNE.com)
• Things in Minnesota have started off great for Zach Parise. He has five goals in five games. The same can't be said for Ryan Suter's start, but don't tell that to coach Mike Yeo. (Minneapolis Star-Tribune)
Toronto at Buffalo (7 p.m. ET)
Philadelphia at N.Y. Rangers (7 p.m. ET)
New Jersey at Boston (7 p.m. ET)
Florida at Tampa Bay (7:30 p.m. ET)
Washington at Ottawa (7:30 p.m. ET)
Dallas at Detroit (7:30 p.m. ET)
N.Y. Islanders at Pittsburgh (7:30 p.m. ET)
Winnipeg at Montreal (7:30 p.m. ET)
Columbus at Minnesota (8 p.m. ET)
Anaheim at San Jose (10:30 p.m. ET)