According to the LA Times, the Kings could be without Carter for a week or more. Anze Kopitar said he saw Carter walk into the team's facility with a walking boot, during his post-practice media availability.
However, when Kings head coach Darryl Sutter was questioned about Carter's injury, he was apparently caught off guard when reporters informed him that the forward had been placed on IR.
For the video impaired, Sutter's pertinent comments from after Friday's practice:
“I didn't know we lost him. We have several guys injured. If it's somebody in the organization that told you, then go talk to them. We haven't been told anything. I'm extremely disappointed the information was given to you before it's given to us. If it's coming from inside, that's disappointing. I have nothing to say about any of that stuff. That's disappointing. That's not how it's supposed to work.”
Well, that was awkward…
In addition to losing Carter, the Kings waived defenseman Keaton Ellerby and recalled forwards Tyler Toffoli and Linden Vey from Manchester of the American Hockey League.
Being able to bring in a player like Toffoli, who has proven his worth at the NHL level at least a bit, is helpful. The 21-year-old forward posted five points in 10 regular-season games last year and another six in 12 postseason contests in 2013.
Still, replacing Carter's goal-scoring ability is tough. The winger scored a team-best 26 goals last season. LA is in the middle of the pack with an average of 2.57 goals scored per game this year, so other players are going to have to really pick up the slack in Carter's absence.
The Kings may also want to address the chain of information when it comes to letting the coach know when the team's leading goal scorer is going to be out with an injury. Just a thought.
(h/t Jewels from the Crown)