NHL Daily Fix: Best stick saves, Mathieu Darche retires via Twitter
The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call with news and notes for the day's hockey action. Here's what's going on Wednesday: The best stick saves ever, Ryan O'Reilly's dad goes off, Mathieu Darche retires.
The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call, with news and notes for the day's hockey action.
• Just because, the top 10 stick saves of all time. This already needs to be remade to include Jake Allen's save from this week.
• It's time for Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts. I particularly like No. 30, this story about Bates Battaglia. (CBC)
• Ryan O'Reilly has been stuck in a long dispute with the Avalanche over a new contract, and it appears he's on his way out. His father has spoken up before about the situation, but he let all his feelings be known on Tuesday in an email to Adrian Dater. Whoa. (Denver Post)
• Interesting move here: The Panthers -- who have been really, really bad at keeping the puck out of their own net -- have recalled Jacob Markstrom from AHL San Antonio. Some wonder if the goalie of the future is NHL-ready yet. But the Panthers are falling out of the race so fast, it might be good to get more NHL experience in games that don't matter much. (@GeorgeRichards)
• Ryan Smyth was traded from the Kings to the Oilers before last season and then had to watch as the Kings went on to win the Stanley Cup. Smyth said on Tuesday that it was "tough to swallow," but he has no regrets. (LA Times)
• Mathieu Darche, who played 250 games over his NHL career, made his retirement announcement on Tuesday. He didn't have a press conference; he just did it via Twitter in a pretty cool way.
Time to make it official! Moving on to second career. twitter.com/matdarche52/st…— Mathieu Darche (@matdarche52) February 19, 2013
Philadelphia at Pittsburgh (7:30 ET, NBC Sports Net)
Los Angeles at Calgary (10 ET)
St. Louis at Colorado (10 ET, NBC Sports Net)
Our Latest Stories
In the first big move before the NHL's March 1 trade deadline, both teams benefit from Stone...
Avalanche center tops the pool of big names dropped in trade rumors this season
Here's how to catch this year's Battle of Pennsylvania featuring the Flyers and Penguins
As March draws closer, a number of teams have strengthened their case for a run at the Stanley...
Duquesne University students show off hockey in skills while chasing a rat from their hous...
Washington has 18 wins during a 21-game stretch, including 12 straight victories at home