NHL Daily Fix: Canucks set to wear Millionaires throwbacks
The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call, with news and notes for the day's hockey action. Here's what's going on with a busy Saturday: The Canucks are set to wear their Millionaires jersey, so Roberto Luongo has a new mask and Johnny Canuck will return.
The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call, with news and notes for the day's hockey action.
• The Vancouver Canucks are all ready for their game on Saturday night sporting the old Millionaires jersey. Remember how Cory Schneider even had a mask made just for it? Well, so did Roberto Luongo . This goaltending battle is pretty awesome as you'll see later.
• The Washington Capitals have tried multiple players on the top-line wing opposite Alex Ovechkin . On Saturday night? It will be Aaron Volpatti . Seriously. He of five points in 58 career NHL games. (Washington Times)
• Kyle Quincey could have a broken cheekbone after taking a puck to the ... cheek. He is not travelling with the team for Saturday night's game in Vancouver. (MLive.com)
• Gary Bettman hears you, Mr. Mayor of Columbus. He knows the NHL owes your city an All-Star Game. (Columbus Dispatch)
• More Canucks/Millionaires: Johnny Canuck will make a return on Saturday night to match the Millionaires' old-time fun. Here's a teaser clip.
• Minor trade on Friday as the Florida Panthers acquired defenseman T.J. Brennan from the Buffalo Sabres for a fifth-round pick in this year's draft. The pick is the one that Florida acquired from L.A. So for those keeping score at home, it has essentially become a four-team trade with the Panthers getting Brennan from Buffalo, the Los Angeles Kings getting Keaton Ellerby from Florida, the New Jersey Devils getting Andrei Loktionov from Los Angeles and, finally, the Sabres getting New Jersey's fifth-round draft selection. Kind of crazy. (Panthers)
• The Kings will be making their visit to the White House soon as the reigning Stanley Cup champs. When Darryl Sutter talks to President Obama, he doesn't want to talk hockey. He's an Alberta man; he wants to discuss oil. (Pro Hockey Talk)
• Remember that Chicago Blackhawks cover photo at SI that created a bit of a stir across hockey? Here are some clips from the actual story. (NBC Chicago)
• Finally, speaking of that Luongo/Schneider combo in Vancouver, they and James Duthie at TSN had a little fun with their situation. Nothing better than seeing pro athletes who can make fun of their situations/themselves.
Washington at Boston (1 ET)
NY Rangers at Pittsburgh (1 ET, NHL Network)
Minnesota at Colorado (3 ET)
Ottawa at Buffalo (3 ET)
Montreal at New Jersey (7 ET, NHL Network)
Carolina at Tampa Bay (7 ET)
Winnipeg at Toronto (7 ET)
Phoenix at Columbus (7 ET)
NY Islanders at Florida (7:30 ET)
Chicago at Dallas (8 ET)
Anaheim at St. Louis (8 ET)
Detroit at Vancouver (10 ET)
San Jose at Los Angeles (10:30 ET)
Our Latest Stories
They're still trying to get the hang of a few things in Beijing
Team North America, ref cam among the good; Team USA and TV ratings among the bad
A stunning final three minutes of regulation in Game 2 gave the hosts the title
The new Habs forward will miss three of the team's five remaining preseason games
Maple Leafs, Coyotes have a lot of prospects to keep a close eye on as camps progress
It may sound strange, but some of the toughest guys on the ice are the linesmen