NHL Daily Fix: Happy Hockey Day in America
The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call with news and notes for the day's hockey action. Here's what's going on Sunday: It's Hockey Day in America, and we take a look at Claude Giroux's struggles.
The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call, with news and notes for the day's hockey action.
• A rather dramatic introduction to last night's Hockey Night in Canada opening on CBC from actor/director Jay Baruchel.
• But forget Hockey Night in Canada, it's Hockey Day in America. More precisely, it's been Hockey Weekend Across America. So from 12:30 p.m. ET through bedtime on the East Coast, you can watch hockey nonstop. Sounds like a plan. (USA Hockey)
• To that point just a little more, a look at how hockey has taken off in America, beyond the usual player-producing hotbeds. (Pro Hockey Talk)
• Claude Giroux cemented himself as one of the game's elite players last season and figured to only get better. But he's "struggled" to the tune of just 10 points in 15 games. Sam Carchidi takes a look at why. (Philadelphia Inquirer)
• Since the injury to the Ottawa Senators' Erik Karlsson, there has been a lot of talk about Kevlar socks and how they can prevent such problems. Michael Russo says while they are the answer, not many players are turning to them. (Minneapolis Star-Tribune)
• Did Matt Cooke's history actually save him from being punished for injuring Karlsson? Larry Brooks thinks so. (New York Post)
• After an injury setback and a longer absence than originally anticipated, Jaroslav Halak looks like he's close to returning again for the Blues. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
Pittsburgh at Buffalo, (12:30 ET, NBC)
Los Angeles at Chicago (3:30 ET, NBC)
Calgary at Dallas (6 ET)
Detroit at Minnesota (6 ET)
Boston at Winnipeg (6 ET)
Washington at N.Y. Rangers (6 ET, NBC Sports Net)
St. Louis at Vancouver (9 ET)
Our Latest Stories
In the first big move before the NHL's March 1 trade deadline, both teams benefit from Stone...
Avalanche center tops the pool of big names dropped in trade rumors this season
Here's how to catch this year's Battle of Pennsylvania featuring the Flyers and Penguins
As March draws closer, a number of teams have strengthened their case for a run at the Stanley...
Duquesne University students show off hockey in skills while chasing a rat from their hous...
Washington has 18 wins during a 21-game stretch, including 12 straight victories at home