NHL Daily Fix: Hurricanes looking for help, realignment winners/losers
The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call, with news and notes for the day's hockey action. What's happening Thursday: The Hurricanes need some help on the blue line, Jordan Staal returns to Pittsburgh and more realignment thoughts.
The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call, with news and notes for the day's hockey action.
• The question of the morning in Detroit is how did Anze Kopitar get so open? Either way, it was a pretty sweet finish for the game-winning goal. On a side note, I really enjoyed Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda stepping away from the Sharks and doing a game on NBC Sports Net.
• Considering the Carolina Hurricanes are down three defensemen in Joni Pitkanen , Tim Gleason and Jamie McBain at the moment, Kevin Allen says look for them to add a veteran defenseman very soon. (@ByKevinAllen)
• Onto the topic of the week: realignment. Who wins and who loses in the new plan? I hesitate to even think about it considering it's not done but Brian Cazeneuve thought about it. (SI.com)
• Bruce Boudreau will consider his Anaheim Ducks winners if the Detroit Red Wings do move to the East. He'll have won the jackpot if the Blackhawks and Los Angeles Kings were to switch conferences, too. Don't ever change, Gabby. (OC Register)
• One team that looks like it might fall on the losers side is the Florida Panthers . NHLPA rep Mike Weaver sees a team that already travels a ton having that travel load go up. The same will hold for Tampa Bay, we're sure. (Sun-Sentinel)
• One of the games Thursday night sees the Pittsburgh Penguins visiting the Hurricanes. That would mean Jordan Staal facing his old Pittsburgh mates and also Brandon Sutter facing Carolina for the first time. It's going to be a bit "awkward." (News Observer)
• The champion Kings were able to keep their team pretty much all together after last season's Cup win. But they have quite a few decisions facing them after this season. (LA Kings Insider)
• Three years ago Thursday the great Olympic gold medal game between the USA and Canada took place. See the highlights again of one incredible game. (YouTube)
• The Boston Bruins had a little fun with rookie teammate Dougie Hamilton 's striking resemblance to a certain muppet.
Haha! Courtesy of Paille twitter.com/Ferknuckle/sta…— Andrew Ference (@Ferknuckle) February 27, 2013
Tampa Bay at N.Y. Rangers (7 ET)
Pittsburgh at Carolina (7 ET, NHL Network)
Ottawa at Boston (7 ET)
Toronto at N.Y. Islanders (7 ET)
Buffalo at Florida (7:30 ET)
New Jersey at Winnipeg (8 ET)
Chicago at St. Louis (8 ET)
Edmonton at Dallas (8:30 ET)
Calgary at Colorado (9 ET)
Minnesota at Phoenix (9 ET)
Detroit at San Jose (10:30 ET)
The back-to-back Olympic champs are looking for more hardware on home ice
The NHL has plenty riding on the rebooted World Cup, but what will make it a success?
Johnny Gaudreau, Nikita Kucherov among key RFAs still waiting on a new contract
Goalies are used to stealing goals, this one stole a bunch of beer
Lucic signs with Oilers, Okposo goes to Buffalo, Bruins land Backes
The Magic Man is feeling right at home with SKA St. Petersburg