NHL Daily Fix: Revisiting the NHL's championship power outage
The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call with news and notes for the day's hockey action. Here's what's going on Monday where we revisit when the power went out in the Stanley Cup Final. Also, Max Pacioretty is already back.
The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call with news and notes for the day's hockey action.
• The power outage at the Super Bowl Sunday night might go down as sports' all-time most famous power outage, but it was hardly the first on a sport's biggest stage.
The 1988 Stanley Cup Final between the Bruins and Oilers saw a foggy game eventually canceled when the lights went out. Imagine if Sunday night's game had to be canceled and restarted next week.
• Pretty incredible story from Sunday, where Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty returned just eight days after undergoing an appendectomy. His estimated recovery time was three-to-four weeks. (Recap)
• Alex Ovechkin did notch a secondary assist on Sunday in Washington Capitals 's 6-3 loss to Pittsburgh, but he still has only four points in nine games. Before Sunday's game he admitted "it kind of embarrass me" to have so few points at this stage. The team's performance as a whole has been a bit embarrassing, truthfully. (Washington Post)
• Here's a great read from Dave Lozo about the instigator rule, from its history through its evolutions and applications in the game. (NHL.com)
• What would this season be without another injury for a Detroit Red Wings defenseman? Brendan Smith is expected to miss 10-14 days after injuring his shoulder in Saturday's loss in Columbus. (Detroit Free-Press)
• Colorado Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog was on the ice very briefly Sunday, just doing some short-lived stick-handling work. Coach Joe Sacco said there is still no timetable for his return from a concussion. (Denver Post)
Toronto Maple Leafs
(7 p.m. ET)
Minnesota Wild at Arizona Coyotes (9 p.m. ET)
Dallas Stars at Colorado Avalanche (9 p.m. ET)
Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers (9:30 p.m. ET)
San Jose Sharks at Anaheim Ducks (10 p.m. ET)
Vince Gill, Carrie Underwood, Lady Antebellum and Luke Bryan have apparently upstaged a hometown...
The 14-year NHL veteran joins the team with which he played three seasons from 2013-16
Series schedule, results and updates from the title showdown between Nashville and Pittsbu...
Here's how to stay on top of the Pittsburgh Penguins' bid for a repeat against the Nashville...
Ottawa takes it into a fifth period of action but falls on a late goal from Chris Kunitz
Series schedules, results and updates from the Eastern and Western conference finals