NHL Daily Fix: Vlasic injures Heatley with slash; Kings win deadline
The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call, with news and notes for the day's hockey action. Here's what's going on Thursday: Dany Heatley was injured by a slash from Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Caps fans edit Filip Forsberg's Wikipedia page and the Kings win the deadline analysis.
The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call, with news and notes for the day's hockey action.
• Things got a bit ugly at the end of a good San Jose Sharks - Minnesota Wild game on Wednesday night with Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Dany Heatley getting into an exchange that left Heatley in pain and, according to Wild coach Mike Yeo, possible out for a while. Vlasic said he was just retaliating and defending himself after Heatley slashed him before. Regardless, might he hear from Brendan Shanahan?
There's a very real possibility that Minnesota-San Jose could be a 4-5 playoff matchup. That would be fun, eh?
• Taylor Hall is on fire. The Edmonton Oilers star has an incredible 16 points in his last five games after recording a five-point night against the Calgary Flames in a rout. (Recap)
• It was kind of odd timing, but Guy Boucher had his exit interview with the media on Wednesday after the deadline, saying his firing 10 days earlier was a shock but he cherished his time in Tampa Bay Lightning . (TBO.com)
• Watch the trade call to the league for Wednesday's biggest move, Marian Gaborik to the Columbus Blue Jackets . Always neat to get a look behind the curtain.
• The L.A. Los Angeles Kings were at it again. Their trade-deadline tracker was, as usual with this franchise, spectacular. The analysis is all we have come to expect from their media team. Check out their take on the Jason Pominville move:
BUFFALO TRADES THEIR CAPTAIN CONTINUING THEIR GARAGE SALE. THE WILD ARE 8-2 IN THEIR LAST 10 AND POMINVILLE IS THAT LAST PIECE THEY THINK WILL TAKE THEM TO THE CUP (IT PROBABLY WON'T)
Never change, Kings. (LAKings.com)
• The Dallas Stars underwent a pretty big change, saying goodbye to three players in the past week. So the team president sent a letter to fans explaining how they think they are a better franchise now than they were last week. (Stars)
• Here's a question that just looks wrong for so many reasons: Does the Steve Mason deal mean the end for Ilya Bryzgalov in Philadelphia Flyers ? (CSN Philly)
• The Florida Panthers got a pretty big addition to their team on Wednesday, and it wasn't via trade. They signed big forward Nick Bjugstad of the University of Minnesota to his entry-level deal, and he is expected to make his NHL debut on Saturday. The youth is coming in Florida. (Panthers)
• Finally, as a whole, the Washington Capitals ' fan base didn't seem too happy with the trade that saw their team send Filip Forsberg to Nashville Predators for Martin Erat and Michael Latta . Just look at Forsberg's Wikipedia page from Wednesday. (Russian Machine Never Breaks)
The list of big debuts that we could see on Thursday: Steve Mason for Philly, Jaromir Jagr in Boston Bruins , Martin Erat in Washington, Ben Bishop for Tampa Bay, Marian Gaborik with the Blue Jackets, Jay Bouwmeester with St. Louis Blues , Derek Roy in Vancouver Canucks , then Jason Pominville for the Wild against Robyn Regehr for the Kings. Post-deadline day!
Philadelphia at Toronto (7 ET)
New Jersey at Boston (7 ET, NHL Network)
NY Islanders at Washington (7 ET)
Tampa Bay at Carolina (7 ET)
Winnipeg at Montreal (7:30 ET)
Columbus at Nashville (8 ET)
St. Louis at Chicago (8:30 ET)
Detroit at Phoenix (10 ET)
Edmonton at Vancouver (10:30 ET)
Minnesota at Los Angeles (10:30 ET)
Series schedules, results and updates from the second round of the Stanley Cup race
New Jersey claims No. 1 draft pick after having an 8.5 percent chance of earning the top s...
Ottawa takes a 2-0 lead over New York, and Pittsburgh does the same against Washington
St. Louis connected on one of five power plays to tie the series while Anaheim loses again...
Ottawa's defense came up big in Game 1 to beat New York, and the Penguins beat the Capitals...
Subban had three points in Nashville's 4-3 win over St. Louis in Game 1, while Edmonton dropped...