At least six nations including the United States claim to have received threatening letters warning of a possible attack in Sochi, but the International Olympic Committee and Russian officials do not deem the threats credible.
The threat, which was first reported by Hungarian officials, apparently said that "persons attending the Olympic Games might be blown up."
"I am very pleased to inform everyone that both the IOC and the Sochi organizing committee ... declared after the analysis of the letter that this threat is not real," Zsigmond Nagy of the Hungarian Olympic Committee told Reuters. "This person has been sending all kinds of messages to many members of the Olympic family."
Several nations, including Germany, Britain, and Austria, claim to have received the letter, but none of them would share its contents, the Associated Press reported Wednesday.
"It's a fake mail from a sender in Israel, who has been active with various threats for a few years," Wolfgang Eichler, a spokesman for the Austrian National Olympic Committee, told an Austrian news service. "It's been checked out because it also arrived two years ago."
It was reported Monday that a potential suicide bomber had already managed to breach Russian security.
For its part, the IOC has repeated its stance on safety.
"[We will] pass on any credible information to the relevant security services," the IOC said in a statement. "However, in this case it seems like the email sent to the Hungarian Olympic Committee contains no threat and appears to be a random message from a member of the public."
It's unclear as to whether all the letters are the same, or even from the same sender. What is certain, at least at this point, is that the threats are not being viewed as real. In fact, some officials have said that these types of letters are common before the Olympics.