United States soccer legend Landon Donovan didn't expect to be back with his LA Galaxy teammates this soon, but that's exactly where he was Saturday.
And he's not exactly pleased with his situation.
"I'm disappointed. I'm sad," Donovan said Saturday, according to the Associated Press. "I'm human, and I wanted to go. I really wanted to go. I'm at peace with it. I respect the decision. I just feel in my heart that I deserve to be there, and that's the pill that's hardest to swallow."
Donovan found out Thursday that he would not be named to the USMNT's 23-man roster. In short, Donovan took issue with manager Jurgen Klinsmann's decision.
"I think if I'm being judged solely on what happens in camp, then I absolutely deserved to be going to Brazil," Donovan said. "I firmly believe that not only should I be going, but I feel like I really deserved it, and not from anything that I did in the past, but from what I've done in the last week and a half."
And, with regard to Klinsmann saying Donovan was a step behind other players at camp, the 32-year-old has this to say, according to the AP:
"I don't agree with that assessment. I think I was at least as good as everybody else in camp. ... I think I was one of the better players, so that's why it stings a little. If I had gone in and didn't feel like I deserved it, I could live with that. But that's not the case here."
Though Donovan says he's excited to be back with the Galaxy, he's clearly disappointed with Klinsmann's decision. Still, he said he's willing to represent the U.S. should the opportunity arise.
"I've always loved representing this country, so I can't imagine that if I'm given another opportunity that I would say no," Donovan said. "But at this point, I'm just trying to deal with the disappointment."