Andre Ward-Sergey Kovalev II gives fans the best fight possible for 2017
The two put on a show last year before a controversial decision determined the winner
Andre Ward and Sergey Kovalev are ready to run it back. The power light heavyweight challengers have agreed to a rematch of their highly-contested fight from last November, the two parties announced on Tuesday.
“I’m going to keep it short and sweet,” Ward said. “You got what you asked for - now you have to see me on June 17. This time...leave the excuses at home.”
Ward walked away with a unanimous decision victory over the multiple titleholder Kovalev despite looking shaky in the first few rounds of the bout. Many believed that it should have been a split decision or majority draw, leading Kovalev to ask for the rematch.
“I’m glad to know that rematch will happen,” Kovalev said. “I really hope that Andre Ward will get into the ring for this rematch. Fans of boxing will see the real Krusher -- the one they have missed for couple of my last fights. For me, this rematch is very important as no other bout in my entire boxing career. Thanks a lot to all boxing fans.”
The fight is scheduled to take place June 17 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas and will be broadcast on HBO pay-per-view. Outside of getting Gennady Golovkin vs. Canelo Alvarez, this was the biggest fight boxing fans could have hoped for.
CBS Sports ranks Andre Ward as thein the world with Kovalev not far behind at No. 4.
Hearn and Joshua are deflecting the blame to Wilder's camp
The unified champion waves goodbye to Showtime -- at least for now
A look at what's to come in the boxing world and whether we might actually see a big remat...
With Deontay Wilder bout unable to be made, Joshua chooses mandatory title defense
Things keep on rolling after a strong start to the year in the boxing world
Pac-Man put on a vintage performance in Malaysia to earn another belt to the collection