Canelo Alvarez's plans seem to indicate he's got Gennady Golovkin on his mind
Alvarez appears to be staying at middleweight, opening the door to the superfight
As Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez prepares for his May 6 pay-per-view showdown with countryman and rival Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., the hope remains for most boxing fans that a victory would set up a long-awaited superfight against unified middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin this fall.
Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs), who gave up his WBC middleweight title last year to further put off facing Golovkin in a fight that has been talked about for two years, is understandably mum on the topic while focusing on Chavez Jr. (50-2-1, 32 KOs).
But during a media teleconference on Monday to promote the fight, Alvarez did share a bit of information that provides hope for a fight with Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) to come off sooner than later.
Alvarez, 26, who knocked out Liam Smith last fall to regain a 154-pound title, is contracted to face Chavez, a former middleweight champion who has campaigned as high as light heavyweight, at a catchweight of 164.5 pounds. And the man who took the lineal middleweight crown by outpointing Miguel Cotto in 2015 intends to campaign there full-time.
"Look, I'm not a current world champion at middleweight. I have been in the past, but I'm not now," Alvarez said. "And as far as the weight, after this fight, I'm not looking past this fight. I'm focused 100 percent on this fight, but I'm now staying at middleweight. I'll stay at 160 pounds.
Golovkin, 35, has reportedly decidedfor a June return in Kazakhstan against Billy Joe Saunders, who owns the only one of the four middleweight titles that GGG has yet to acquire. In doing so, his focus would be on staying fresh for a possible September date with Alvarez, which was news to the ears of Golden Boy Promotions founder Oscar De La Hoya.
"All my focus is on Canelo and Chavez, Jr. I actually didn't even know [Golovkin] was not going to fight in June," said De La Hoya, who in recent weeks had expressed concern that Golovkin taking an interim bout wouldn't give a fall fight with Alvarez enough time to be properly promoted. "That's obviously a great indication. But all focus is on this fight."
One thing Alvarez wouldn't go as far as saying was that moving up in weight to face Chavez was his own way of taking a tuneup for Golovkin.
"No, not at all. This is just another fight and it's a very important fight for me, and I'm not focusing on any other fighter but the fight that I have in front of me," Alvarez said.
Pow! Right in the ... kisser
An interview with WBC champion Jermell Charlo after knocking out Erickson Lubin
Mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev pulled out Monday with a right shoulder injury
The Cuban-born fighter made it look easy in a decisive win on Saturday
Charlo brought a thunderous punch to end the fight in the very first round
The featherweight champion put on a clinic on Saturday night in California